Duck with heavy breathing despite treatment.

hschisholm

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I have a 2 yr old runner duck. I went away for 10 days and when I came back she was weak and breathing very heavily. I quarantined her and gave her oxytetracycline in her water for 7-8 days. She looks and acts so much better. up and about, eating, quacking etc. I noticed that she still is breathing using her accessory muscles, so I am hesitant to reintroduce her to the rest of the flock. Did I not treat her long enough with the abx or does it take awhile for the breathing to resolve? any insight would be great. thanks

Your duck could possibly have a respiratory problem. It could be bacterial or fungal, you need to watch her closely and listen. If you have an avian vet nearby, you should try taking her there for them to check it out. Try sprinkling dried oregano on her food, too.

I assumed she had pneumonia. None of the other ducks have shown any signs of symptoms similar to hers. I too are wondering what the oregano would do. Any thoughts on continuing the antibiotics or any other treatments. I am hesitant to reintroduce her to the flock. TIA:)

Back
Top Bottom