Duck with large black sore on leg.

LindaSu15

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2015
Kankakee Illinois
Our duck has this large black sore on her leg, we took her to the vet, she was put on antibiotics and an inflammation medication. The inflammation is going down but sore is not coming off. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 59
is this a clean leg if not can you wash her leg real well so we can see it better? Is there a scab like you'd see on bumble foot? how does it feel hard or squishy?
What was the meds please?

The leg is clean, no not a bumble foot scab, I knew it wasn’t bumble foot so I took her to the doctor. It is a hard scab, it was also starting in other places on the leg. She was given doxycycline 1/2 tablet every 12 hours and metacam 1.5 every 24 hours. Thanks for asking.

Hi.

Ouch... poor duck...!!
Don't you know what caused this black sore?

...Look... I'm no vet, but if she was my duck, I would proceed by some steps...

Day 1 :
Step 1 -
Wash her leg with vinegar.
Step 2 - Put Cade Oil on her leg.
Step 3 - Wait until the oil dry to wash her leg with a mix of warm water and Apple Cider Vinegar.
Step 4 - Put her leg in a mix of warm water, honey, and Olive Oil - for 10-15 minutes at least -, while delicately rubbing the sore as much as possible.

Days 2 to 4 - Each morning and evening :
Step 1 -
Step 2 - Put her leg in a mix of warm water, honey, and Olive Oil - for 10-15 minutes at least -, while delicately rubbing the sore as much as possible.

Day 5 - Morning : (Redo Day 1)
Step 1 -
Step 3 - Wait until the oil dry to wash her leg with a mix of warm water and Apple Cider Vinegar.
Step 4 - Put her leg in a mix of warm water, honey, and Olive Oil - for 10-15 minutes at least -, while delicately rubbing the sore as much as possible.

Day 5 - Evening + Day 6 to 11 - Each morning and evening :
Step 1 -
Step 2 - Put her leg in a mix of warm water, honey, and Olive Oil - for 10-15 minutes at least -, while delicately rubbing the sore as much as possible.

Day 12 - Morning : (Redo Day 1 and Day 5)
Step 1 -

...And...
...etc...!!
I would, in fact, keep going if I need to.
Probably for a month or two at least...?

(If you have no Cade Oil - do you have (true and ready to use) Cade Oil in America? -, I would recommend you try this method, even without this product.
Honey and Olive Oil can make miracles... and vinegar can also help greatly!)

AND : if there is no result after a few weeks, I would then personally put a big layer of (ready to use) Green Clay on the duck's leg, and I would bandage the leg for at least 24 hours.
After these 24 hours, I would clean the leg with a mix of warm water, honey, and Olive Oil; and I would put again a big layer of Green Clay on the leg, and then bandage for 24 hours.
(...But really, you should not have to bother yourself with Green Clay if you follow the steps written above...)

...I'm not vet - I prefer to repeat myself -, but I'm used to employ these kinds of methods...

Good luck!!

@Miss Lydia
Cade Oil (Huile de Cade), specifically for chickens : https://www.distilleriedescevennes....l-huile-de-cade-poules?variant=41057647460399

Cade = Juniperus oxycedrus

Cade Oil is a very, very old product - black and smelly, but natural and 100% vegetal.
Has soothing, healing, anti-inflammatory, and purifying properties...
...Is antiseptic, anti-parasitic, antifungal, and repellent...
(Anti-psoriasis, anti-eczema, and anti-dermatoses!!)
I seriously know no better product for skin and wound!!

I use a lot of Cade Oil for my chickens.
This is magic.
100% success rate against scaly legs, for example!

When one of my chicken has a bumblefoot, I wash his/her foot in warm water mixed with Apple Cider Vineger OR Epsom Salt, then delicately remove the scab (in the water).
Next, I just put Cade Oil on the affected foot (and leg), and I wait for the oil to dry before letting my chicken go.
(Re-doing if necesseray!)
I don't know... looks to me like the Cade Oil dissolve the abscess...? Maybe by entering the wound from the removed scab?

When I had to remove the spurs from one of my rooster because I was afraid to cut the matrix (is it the word?) to shorten these same spurs, and the matrix were raw... I just put Cade Oil on the matrix, and thanks to that, my rooster was not at risk of complication (infection or whatever)! He healed fast!
(I would really not use another product!)

I am explaining myself badly, but really... I don't think a better product than Cade Oil exist for skin problem, wounds, or whatever...
You can even use Cade Oil to get rid of lice, fleas, ticks, mites... various parasites...!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the info I wonder if we can get it here in the US that is something I will check into. Sounds like a great product to have in our animal med kit.

Back
Top Bottom