Duck with leg problem...

phatchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Hello - my name is Lynn Markert. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and have three Khaki Campbell ducks. Yesterday, I noticed one of the girls was limping very badly, and when she stands still will not touch her leg to the ground. They are three months old, and still very wild - they do not want us to touch them or get too close to them, so as of yet I have not tried to catch her because she runs crazy and it looks very painful. I see no blood, but noticed when she does walk, he leg goes out sideways a little - so laterally to her body. I don't know what to do for her - starting this morning - we did not let them out of their run so hopefully she won't walk as much - do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time - I feel bad and want to help her, but don't know how.

Sincerely,

Lynn Markert

Is she bearing any weight on the leg at all? If she is, it may not be broken. I would suggest catching her and keeping her in a very small crate or cage and letting her rest 24/7. If you think this will be too stressful for her, then I would not let them out and keep her as quiet as possible. Make sure she is eating. Offer ymmy treats like peas chopped up tomatoes and other veggies. I have 22 ducks and there seems to be someone limping at one point or another. I believe ducks have weak legs and get injured easily.

Check the bottom of her foot for an injury as well.

If you do catch her and are able to examine the leg, check for breaks. This could be difficult and just be careful when manipulating the leg. Of course, if it is broken, she will need vet care for the best possible fix. Sometimes keeping them very confined, offering treats and daily baths for therapy can do wonders in healing an injured leg and taming them down at the same time.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom