Duck with respiratory infection

ngennetta

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Colorado
Hi all. I did some searching here and did not find the answer I was looking for.

I have 6 adult welsh harlequins, which some seem to have a respiratory infection. They have labored breathing and wheezes. No coughing or sneezing.

I know ducks can be more delicate than chickens, so I am not sure what to treat them with. We have a lot of various birds, so this is what we have on hand:

Tylan 50
Tylan 200
5 in 1
Acidified Copper sulfate
Denagard
1 package duramycin-10 water soluble powder

Would any of these work? If so, what dosage do you recommend? They have a stock tank for water and play- should I drain this if offering a water based medication?

Thank you!

Are they on clean bedding with no mold? No water source inside since they wet everything and that can contribute to pneumonia. You need to keep them warm but not over warm as for meds I have to get back @casportpony for that one. Can you possibly take one to the vet have it diagnosed and get meds for all the rest too? That way you'll know exactly what your dealing with and have the right meds for treating.

Are they on clean bedding with no mold? No water source inside since they wet everything and that can contribute to pneumonia. You need to keep them warm but not over warm as for meds I have to get back @casportpony for that one. Can you possibly take one to the vet have it diagnosed and get meds for all the rest too? That way you'll know exactly what your dealing with and have the right meds for treating.
No wet bedding. Stock tank is outside not in their house. No avian vets here.

Tylan 50
Tylan 200
These are the same active ingredient, both are tylosin. One is 50 mg/ml, the other is 200 mg/ml. Both need to be given several times a day and it will probably only work if they have mycoplasma.

What five drugs are in this?

Denagard will treat mycoplasma and possibly E.coli.

1 package duramycin-10 water soluble powder
This could be used alone, but some people use it with Denagard.

Last edited:
Hi, I didn’t want to create a thread for the same issue so I thought I’d comment here. I got a 5 day old duckling from my bfs coworker, & on the second day we had her we noticed her panting & breathing heavy even though it’s cool enough (she’s in our room) & having breathing problems, like if she’s breathing hard through her nostrils. She is inside & alone, I was going to get her more ducklings but I can’t if she’s sick, It’s against my better judgement to get more ducklings in her condition. Today is the 5th day and she’s about a week and a half old now, she’s eating & drinking, bathing herself when I put her in warm water for her to dunk her head thinking she had something stuck in her nose but after a few baths over the days, it hasn’t gone away. I’m going to Tractor Supply today, is there any medicine that would be good for her if she has a respiratory infection?

Back
Top Bottom