Duck with swollen eye

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hi, I have a duck that got attacked by a hawk the other day and her eye is really swollen. Its swollen closed and has goo around it. Is it infected? Do you know how to fix it?

Last edited:
I would flush the eye copiously with a warm saline wash first. The inflammatory response occurring will remain the same/worsen, if dirt, and foreign objects are stuck in the mucosal membrane of the eye.
Terramycin would be my first choice as well for a topical applicant.
Systemic antibiotics may be a good choice in case bacteria has entered deeper into the tissue where a topical ointment can't reach.
If you have access to any NSAIDs such as meloxicam, carprofen, or ketoprofen from a past bird/dog/cat visit that would also prove useful. Asprin would be contradicted in use, until a later period where hemorrhaging is less likely to occur.

It is possible she may have lost her vision in the eye. As of now, there is no way to be totally sure without an expert performing an ophthalmic evaluation. Regardless, birds with one eye in captivity do just fine; provided they are protected from predators which they are more likely to succumb to with just one eye.

1633434013641.png

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...269073a06df6febe4f11645fff00071ce96e/figure/1

A simple vision test, known as the menace reaction can be performed once the eye is in a better state to test the vision of the bird. The test includes moving an open hand swiftly towards the bird's eye, watching for any reaction (flinching, moving away, etc) to suggest the bird can still see.

If mine I'd get Terramycin eye ointment since it's an antibiotic for an infection in the eyes.
One of my Muscovy was attacked by a hawk last year she is blind in one eye, she does great still so if you can get her through without infection she will adapt fine.

OK, I took 2 pics of her eye after we put neosporin on last night. Is she blind in that eye?

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_164114.jpg
    IMG_20211004_164114.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211004_164055.jpg
    IMG_20211004_164055.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom