Duck with swollen foot - what to do?

How'd bath go? @blessedx44

Oh gosh you don't want to put her in with those drakes till you get a few more females. It will be like throwing her to the wolves. Let them be close but not able to get to her. Look on Craigslist also for females.

The bath went very well. She was a little offish until I offered her some food while in the tub and boy was she hungry! Poor thing, there's no telling how long she's been without food. I've kept them separated throughout the night and yes, the males are very happy to see her. The only thing is, I can't get another duck without the neighbors complaining. I didn't realize the females were much louder than the males. "Melody" is now our new alarm clock! She's pretty tame though and very under weight. We'll focuse on getting her fattened up and healthy before we let her run loose with the other birds. Do you think she'll be ok if she has enough room outside to run from the drakes? We'll keep her separate in the garage at night.

Attachments

• 20170826_144057.jpg
    20170826_144057.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 16
The bath went very well. She was a little offish until I offered her some food while in the tub and boy was she hungry! Poor thing, there's no telling how long she's been without food. I've kept them separated throughout the night and yes, the males are very happy to see her. The only thing is, I can't get another duck without the neighbors complaining. I didn't realize the females were much louder than the males. "Melody" is now our new alarm clock! She's pretty tame though and very under weight. We'll focuse on getting her fattened up and healthy before we let her run loose with the other birds. Do you think she'll be ok if she has enough room outside to run from the drakes? We'll keep her separate in the garage at night.

No, I don't think she will be safe. Drakes will team up on a female. Glad you are caring for her. Sounds like you will need to manage them carefully. You can introduce them, with constant supervision, and intervene if the drakes give her a hard time, keeping them separate when you are not with them. Brutal treatment is something we need to protect females from.

If the Epson salt soak, drawing salve, neosporin, theracyn spray, and duck shoes dont work for 7 days now. What antibiotics can you give and where can you get them. Its very hard to find a vet where i live that will see ducks

In addition to antibiotics, and until you can get that, I would put a quarter teaspoon dried oregano per cup of moistened food. It is a natural anti pathogen, used by some larger commercial farms.

And turmeric is a natural anti inflammatory. Safe for ducks. Half a teaspoon per cup of food. Don't get it on your clothes - it stains.

When my Susie duck originally had bumble foot in both of her feet 1 foot healed really fast the other one took a little bit longer when I took her to our ranch she ended up getting inflamed so I brought her home and I literally have had her in a dog kennel for a month and a half at my house. I did epson salt warm baths 2 to 3 times a day , i'm a huge essential oil use there and I used essential oils on her as well as compression wrap her joint. While she was at home I took her outside in our yard a couple times throughout the day just so she can walk around in the grass and eat I hope your duck gets better very soon!
Hi there. Which essential oils did you use please? 🙂

Back
Top Bottom