Duck with walking problems

stabley1991

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Hull
Hi,

I had a chicken hatch a few ducks off last week and they all seemed fine however i checked on them today and one of them can't walk propperly.
Instead of walking its shuffling around on its hocks its not got splayed legs but crossing them under its body. Does anyone know of a way to splint it maybe? It has some strength in its legs and it can move them.
Thanks

just do a search and there are plenty of topics that will assist you in splinting them and what you can do to prevent the issue

It mainly keeps them bent under itself. Ive tried putting it in the bath to build up some muscle strength and it can move about ok but it cant get its body weight off the floor when its not in water.

So it sounds from what you are saying that is a weight bearing problem. The legs being very weak - rather than inured or deformed?? I was just asking as I wanted to rule out a slipped tendon. From the way you described it keeping the legs bent up I thought it may have been a possible cause.

Im not sure, it cant lift its weight because of its legs but it does have some strength there as when i pick it up it flaps them about ok
hmm.png
. what would a slipped tendon look like?

It would be able to move the leg- from the hip joint - but not at the hock. I do have some photos somewhere- but they are very fuzzy. The duck would also have difficulty extending the leg straight- as if the tendon has slipped- it will tighten and shorten- and eventually the hock may become almost fused. You can easily see the bones through the skin of the joint at the hock if the tendon has slipped as the skin will also be very tight over the joint. The foot may be clenched up too- rather than flattened out. I hope it isnt something as serious as that- and maybe just a temporary thing to do with diet and rapid growth.I will try to find some photos tomorrow for you- as its now after 11pm for me.

So sorry for the delay in getting these pics up for you.

Its not as clear as I would like... But I guess you can see enough. The back of the hock- you will see the skin streched over the bone- If you remember back to when you last ate a roast chicken... It looks like the end of the drumstick.

46956_jayd_leg.jpg

The duck cant move the leg from that joint at all - and kind of hop shuffles around.

well ive compared and i dont think it looks like that, and it can move its leg from there. It appears to be getting stronger and its trying to push itself up a bit more now and can move suprisingly fast when it wants too. Hopefully the swimming will help it some more.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom