Duck wont stop quacking

JP84

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016
Utah
Let me preface this by saying I knew ducks would quack before we decided to get them. With that being said I could use some advice on quacking. I have 2 ducks, a peking drake and a female rouen, both about 6 months old. We got them when they were just a few days old. The peking is a pretty quiet guy. As for my female, it's a different story. She used to quack when she would hear me come outside or when she would see me get into my car. They are on the west side of my house, front door on the east. Also, when she could hear me talk to people who came to my door. This was no big deal. Well the last few weeks it seems her favorite sound is the sound of her own quack! She normally starts at 6am, and continues throughout the day whether I am around or not. They are in a nice run with plenty of space. Always have food, fresh water, a small pool, shelter and each others company. I clean the pool daily, and spend time talking to them. Could there be something I am missing to make her unhappy, or is this just her personality from now until forever? Is there anything I can do to quiet her down a little? I have alot of close range neighbors who would probably prefer not to be woken up at 6 every morning, and I'm worried about getting complaints and having to give them up. We adore them, and would hate to lose them! Any input is appreciated. Just trying to keep everyone happy, ducks and humans alike :) Thanks in advance!

I will guess that her hormones are kicking in, and this is a phase related to her egg-laying instincts.

Has she laid any eggs yet, or started making a nest? Is Mr. Drake pretty easy on her or is she missing feathers on the back of her neck or showing other signs of too much mating?

I have 5 Ducks...My one Hen will Quack her head off till I let them out to free range...She is loud...She does like yours...Basically Quacks all day long...When I open the door, start my jeep, walk by to the Chicken coop, fill the pool, feed them..Etc....
I believe some are just more vocal than others...

Cheers!

I have 6 duck hens who quack very loudly anytime they hear a door open, hear my voice, see me, or think they can somehow get my attention. The top duck is the loudest - but they are all demanding and obnoxious. Mine don't quack for nothing, though. Maybe your duck is just super chatty?

I do notice that when my ducks are into making nests and fussing over their eggs they seem to wander about quacking loudly for days.

Last edited:
I will guess that her hormones are kicking in, and this is a phase related to her egg-laying instincts.

Has she laid any eggs yet, or started making a nest?  Is Mr. Drake pretty easy on her or is she missing feathers on the back of her neck or showing other signs of too much mating? 

She has not started laying yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. She has started making a different type of quack, along with her normal loud quack. Almost reminds me of a mini machine gun sound lol. No missing feathers yet. Could it be "just a phase", or does it normally continue from here on out?

Oh, you mean that staccato ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah? Sometimes with the head going diagonally up and down? That's an interesting behavior. In my Runner flock, that can mean, "what the heck are you doing?" or "where on earth have you been?" or "I think you are just the coolest duck ever."

Yes, female ducks do tend to be quite chatty. We have several colors of call ducks and I can tell you, we can't yell at each across the yard for the duck din. LOL

The new "machine gun" quacking may be her courting/inciting her mate. They often do this with their head bobbing up & down at their shoulder. Ducks will often begin courting and pair bonding in the fall, hence the nuptial plumage in the fall.

Good luck & enjoy your ducks.

PINOAK RIDGE
Call ducks in: Apricot Silver, Aztec Blue, Black, Blue, Blue Fawn, Buff, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Grey, Khaki, Pastel, Snowy, Silver & White.
Black East Indies, Miniature Silver Appleyards, Mallards and Silver Mallards.

Silkies: Black, Blue, Buff, Grey, Partridge & White
Bantam Cochins & Frizzles: Black, Blue, Silver, Mottled-Black & Blue, Millie Fluer (Calico) and White.

Oh, you mean that staccato ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah?  Sometimes with the head going diagonally up and down?  That's an interesting behavior.  In my Runner flock, that can mean, "what the heck are you doing?" or "where on earth have you been?" or "I think you are just the coolest duck ever."

She has always liked to make that sound when she sees me, head bobbing and all. This is a completely different sound. It strange, and funny at the same time :)

Yes, female ducks do tend to be quite chatty.   We have several colors of call ducks and I can tell you, we can't yell at each across the yard for the duck din.   LOL    

The new "machine gun" quacking may be her courting/inciting her mate.   They often do this with their head bobbing up & down at their shoulder.   Ducks will often begin courting and pair bonding in the fall, hence the nuptial plumage in the fall.

Good luck & enjoy your ducks.

PINOAK RIDGE
Call ducks in:  Apricot Silver, Aztec Blue, Black, Blue, Blue Fawn, Buff, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Grey, Khaki, Pastel, Snowy, Silver  & White.
Black East Indies,  Miniature Silver Appleyards, Mallards and Silver Mallards.

Silkies:  Black, Blue, Buff, Grey, Partridge & White
Bantam Cochins & Frizzles:  Black, Blue, Silver, Mottled-Black & Blue, Millie Fluer (Calico) and White.

Thanks. Sounds like this may just be her mating call. I just hope it doesn't last forever lol

Back
Top Bottom