Duckhouse Questions

duckluv

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Ohio
I was wondering if I could use the little tikes playhouse that I have as a duckhouse. If I can these are some more questions: Would I have to cover the holes (one in each window and one above the door) with anything other than chicken wire? What type of bedding should I use? I'm thinking about getting Welsh Harlequins. Would 4-6 of them fit in it? Thanks for your time.
smile.png

I think I'm going to free-range them during the day and I have not yet had a chance to build a pen so I think I'm going to lock them in at night.

Unless you have a real problem with predators or very cold winters, you don't really need a coop arrangement for ducks. They will happily puddle up under bushes in their pen, protected from the sky and things that fall from it. A simple wood shed or doghouse large enough for your flock works great, even.

You can use the playhouse, but I gotta tell you, you're going to have a horrible time cleaning it - ducks are messy! 4 will fit fine in a playhouse, as long as the ladies all get along. If you have rivalries, that small of a space could be a problem. And yes, close in the windows with hardware cloth or similar if you have predators!

I use orchard grass for duck pen bedding. They like it and it's easy to clean up after with a snow shovel.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom