1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckin hell this is hard!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmarr, Nov 28, 2015.

1. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Ok the short version! I've bought an incubator,put 4 Pekin eggs in, I'm also leaving eggs in the nest to see what happens! I'm on day 6,tried candling, the air sacs seem to be going the right way but can only see a dark area in two of the eggs, nothing like the detail on the charts. Wondering if my torch isn't strong enough to pick anything up? It's just a regular headlamp on the bottom of a toilet roll! Will wait a good few days, don't want to chuck out a duckling! :(

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have extremely dark eggs that I can't see into most of the time.
    My rule is, if they don't leak or stink, I don't toss them.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I have to ask the basic question: are you candling in a dark room? The darker, the better.

Duck eggs are best candled for the first time on Day 10 so that you will for sure see blood vessels if they are developing. Any earlier than that and you aren't guaranteed to see development. I had an egg that started it's development right under the air cell, so it looked like it wasn't doing anything for awhile there because I couldn't see the vessels. But at Day 10 I could absolutely see all the blood vessels spreading down from the air cell area. Sometimes they can surprise you. :)

Of course it's also possible those two eggs just aren't fertile, but wait until Day 10 and candle again and see what you see.

4. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Yip doing it in a dark room! Just the two with dark shapes near the air sac, the other two seem clearer. Anyhow, roll on day 10 lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by