Ducking- Red Skin

Duckling17

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
20170517_135318.jpg
20170517_135313.jpg

Hi, I am a first time Duck owner so I'm still learning! I have a few questions..

I noticed a few days ago some of my Ducklings have red skin or a rash on their backs and a bit on their wings which I only notice more when they are wet,one is worse than the others. I'm not sure if their bath water is to warm, I first thought maybe it was the lamp so i moved it and it seemed to be better but i saw it again this afternoon durning bathtime. I use natural soft wood shavings and pee pads. I clean it everyday and just rinse with the water hose, also I can't seem to keep it dry! Pictures so u can see.. FYI this us after their "bath" so they are still a bit wet. What can the plm be? I feel so bad and really want to help her feel better!
Also how do I get them to bond more and be comfortable with me? They are a week old and I have had them since they where a few hours old, at the begining they would sit in my hand, now they hate when I pick them up they cry and wiggle. They are OK with me being near by but when I reach in to pet them or anything they run. I would really love for them to trust me more!

Last edited:
:welcomeWhat is the temp in your brooder? maybe the heat lamp is causing sun burn? Heat lamp should be placed on one end of the brooder away from food and water and where ducklings can get out from under it if too hot.
Your feeders and waterer is for chicks they need some kind of bowl they can dunk their heads into but not drown in and the feeder holes need to be wider for wider duckling bills.

As for them being comfortable with you just sit with them most ducklings don't like to be picked up especially when there is more than one. They are bonded to each other more than you. So just sit with them spending time with them but try not to come down over top of them. It's like a predator would do. Always speak to them before they see you so they know you are coming. If you go slow and just spend time with them they will begin to get use to your presence.

:welcomeWhat is the temp in your brooder? maybe the heat lamp is causing sun burn? Heat lamp should be placed on one end of the brooder away from food and water and where ducklings can get out from under it if too hot.
Your feeders and waterer is for chicks they need some kind of bowl they can dunk their heads into but not drown in and the feeder holes need to be wider for wider duckling bills.

As for them being comfortable with you just sit with them most ducklings don't like to be picked up especially when there is more than one. They are bonded to each other more than you. So just sit with them spending time with them but try not to come down over top of them. It's like a predator would do. Always speak to them before they see you so they know you are coming. If you go slow and just spend time with them they will begin to get use to your presence.[/QUOTE
Im not sure what the temp is, but it doesn't feel to hot, I have tried to move it away and give them a cool spot but the breeder is a but small and the light hits everything. I just moved the light up further yesterday if its a sun burn how long could it take for her to heal? Thank you for our suggestion on the water and feeder this is all I could find at tractor supply. Where can I get them better ones?

As for them being comfortable with you just sit with them most ducklings don't like to be picked up especially when there is more than one. They are bonded to each other more than you. So just sit with them spending time with them but try not to come down over top of them. It's like a predator would do. Always speak to them before they see you so they know you are coming. If you go slow and just spend time with them they will begin to get use to your presence.

Im Not sure what the temp is I moved the lamp further up yesterday and it doesnt feel as as hot anymore if its a burn how long will it take for it to heal up? Thank you for ur suggestion on the feeder and waterer i didnt know that, this is all tractor supply had, where can I get better ones?

A milk jug would be good just make sure they can't climb into it and your going to have to enlarge the holes as they grow. Or you can use something like an empty cool whip container or something similar cut a hole in the lid just large enough for the ducklings to put their heads inside with 4 ducklings I'd make 2 holes place a rock or large marbles[ if small they may try and swallow] in the bottom to keep them from tipping it over. As for feed container I use a small rubber feed bowl[TSC] it's heavy enough they can't tip it over and easy to clean.

Do you have any aloe vera or the aloe vera plant you can put that on their skin to soothe their skin.

For water i'm using a milk jug with a hole cut in the side big enough for their heads! Works great and they love it!
Do u have a pic?
Also how do I keep the beding dry, I know they love water but they need a nice dry spot to sleep. I can fill up the waterer and in a matter an hour or so everything is soaked. I keep everything on opposite sides, I'm getting down to cleaning it out 2 times a day!

You'll have to upgrade the holes and height as they get older but this works for now ☺️ I replace the bedding around the water at night and the rest stays dry throughout the day!

Attachments

• IMG_6310.JPG
    IMG_6310.JPG
    551.1 KB · Views: 3
Do u have a pic?
Also how do I keep the beding dry, I know they love water but they need a nice dry spot to sleep. I can fill up the waterer and in a matter an hour or so everything is soaked. I keep everything on opposite sides, I'm getting down to cleaning it out 2 times a day!

I found that having a watering station makes a huge difference. Cut down one side of a plastic container that is about three times the area of the waterer. leave a one or two inch lip at the cutdown part, and cover the sharp edge with something they cannot tear off and swallow. Be sure about that! If they can, they will! Put an inch or two of sawdust pellets in the bottom, and for ducklings I would cover that with plastic mesh or a towel to keep them from eating the pellets. Place the waterer in the container. It will catch the splash and you will be able to easily remove and replace the poopy towel, and replace the sawdust as needed. I use a larger version of this with my adult ducks and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom