Duckling back roll over recovery-vertigo?

simplify

Chirping
May 25, 2015
Want to post a bit of info for others who experience this prob as it is very frustrating and worrisome when it is going on.
So here is the beginning.
Jan 8
Shipped from Mertzer farms CA to NC as day old ducklings so they were 3days old when I picked them up at post office.
Counting their age of me having them.
Day 3 -8 all fine. Healthy
Day 9 found one on back, righted her all fine.
Day 10 found one on back, righted her , did this twice. Guess it was same duck.
Day 11, bad day , roll over happened 4 times
Day 12 and current.....no roll overs.
Don't know why it happened, started or stopped. Just glad it did. I didn't change anything or try treatment.
They seem healthy and growing normal now.
I would be curious to know if roll overs have happened to ducklings that have never been shipped, by air or car.
I wonder if the roll over is caused by a type of vertigo from being transported.

Thoughts?

I raise and hatch my own Ducklings and when little they get running so fast and are clumsy on their new legs. Mine tip over too..Nothing too worry about.
If they continue to do it at an older age then it's a concern.

They aren’t acting funny otherwise are they? When you stand them back up they go back to running around? Chickens really is right, ducks are unusually clumsy.

Is it getting enough water? Does it know how to drink? When I raised ducklings, I noticed that some would seem intoxicated and fall over (The sweetest thing is that other ducklings would try to pull it back up on its feet). I noticed that the ones that were falling over hadn't learnt to drink. I taught them to drink by dipping their beaks in the water, and then everything was ok again.

Back
Top Bottom