Duckling bleeding

Cheetahlover

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
My ducklings just hatched about 8 hours ago. One was still stuck to its egg for awhile, and then it had a red blob bulging out its vent. As time went on the blob got smaller and absorbed, but now as it's drying out its leaving blood spots on the tissues its laying on. It's not much blood, maybe a drop altogether (although it did bleed at hatching) and it seems to be spry enough, but I'm worried this bleeding will go on. Anything I can do?

Thanks so much, but thankfully it's looking good now and the bleeding has stopped. Little guy is still really tired but seems to be doing well.

Thanks so much, but thankfully it's looking good now and the bleeding has stopped. Little guy is still really tired but seems to be doing well.

Your gonna need to get him some vitamins, especially some Vitamin B3, the blob thing maybe stuck there for a while but it will turn into a scab like form and fall off. As long as he is in good spirits, he should be OK. Doesn't sound like infection or anything is kicking in. You can dab some idoxine on it.

For the Vitamin B3 my preference is poultry drench and 1 pill of Vitamin B compete per quart. I wouldn't let him go swimming though until he's at least 1 week old.

Back
Top Bottom