Duckling born with leg issue? Help!!!

talkhorsesducks

Songster
Apr 13, 2022
Hi everyone! My little black duckling Athena had a very difficult hatch, she was an assisted hatch and in the leg over head mal position. She now walks with a limp one leg is turned in and the joint feels all wonky. Is there anything I can do to help her!!!? Please help I’m attached to her and don’t want anything to happen to her.
Video:
D1A5A5ED-A745-498B-B1F5-2F367BC304E2.jpeg

Explain how you go about making a splint and putting it on please.
Of course @Miss Lydia

first day I only look at the curled toes as they are newly hatched and I don't want them to stress to much: (so I leave the inwards turned feet for what it is for this day)
IMG_7370.JPG

After that,
From cardboard I cut a piece in the shape of how the foot should be (you can use the other foot as reference). I make sure the toenails are outside because they tend to tumble over very easily as it is already and that way they tend to be a tiny bit more stable.

2nd stage, you can do by yourself but an extra hand might come in handy.
Cut a few longer pieces of tape/band aid, and after you position the foot correctly you tape it to the cardboard using the long pieces of band aid (or similar).

I made you a picture of how I do it and which gave me good results. There are many more ways of course
IMG_0443.jpg

I also make sure the foot is not in a 90 degree angle, but few degrees more, so a tiny bit if it walks on it's toes, not to much.
Because I had an experience with a duckling who developed a huge callus when taped in 90 degrees position.

Last edited:
Of course @Miss Lydia

first day I only look at the curled toes as they are newly hatched and I don't want them to stress to much: (so I leave the inwards turned feet for what it is for this day)
View attachment 3069537

After that,
From cardboard I cut a piece in the shape of how the foot should be (you can use the other foot as reference). I make sure the toenails are outside because they tend to tumble over very easily as it is already and that way they tend to be a tiny bit more stable.

2nd stage, you can do by yourself but an extra hand might come in handy.
Cut a few longer pieces of tape/band aid, and after you position the foot correctly you tape it to the cardboard using the long pieces of band aid (or similar).

I made you a picture of how I do it and which gave me good results. There are many more ways of course
View attachment 3069539
I also make sure the foot is not in a 90 degree angle, but few degrees more, so a tiny bit if it walks on it's toes, not to much.
Because I had an experience with a duckling who developed a huge callus when taped in 90 degrees position.
Thank you for this!!!!

Thank you so much really helps us to have a visual . I bookmarked it.

What are Giethoorn's?
A bit of topic, sorry original poster ☺️

It's a duck breed which originates from a little town in Holland called Giethoorn. They are not in any show standard (yet) and quite rare. I call them my prototype ducks since they are not in a standard. They were bred with the idea of creating a bantam Eend van Vorst (forest duck) which you can see in this video (at 1:42 you see the white ones)
IMG_0446.JPG

A bit of topic, sorry original poster ☺️

It's a duck breed which originates from a little town in Holland called Giethoorn. They are not in any show standard (yet) and quite rare. I call them my prototype ducks since they are not in a standard. They were bred with the idea of creating a bantam Eend van Vorst (forest duck) which you can see in this video (at 1:42 you see the white ones)
View attachment 3069567
B
They are beautiful. Are you breeding them?
Sorry @talkhorsesducks didn't mean to hijack your thread.
They are beautiful. Are you breeding them?
Sorry @talkhorsesducks didn't mean to hijack your thread.
@Miss Lydia it’s all good I’m interested. @Stipenvlerk they are gorgeous ducks.

How long would you have to leave this on for would you think?
Because they are growing so fast, you have to redo them every few days, and the tape can get loose when you letting them swim.
The time depends on the severity and just how the duckling develops. You will notice! It will take time commitment and effort. Don't expect a full result by 2 days.

This is him when he was older, getting around just fine!
05F36004-D8CE-4BFD-B9D0-8CB41A5791BE.JPG

here is a forum with a similar problem https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-with-a-leg-foot-problem.314471/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/call-duckling-with-bad-legs.393494/
https://permies.com/t/139323/correct-pigeon-toed-duck

I have a duck i got from a farm who's one leg is pigeon toed but not as that bad he is fine and loving life has a bit of a funny waddle a have a few forums with video of how he waddles. I am not sure at what age they can have niacin since their food is supposed to be high in it but you could give him small amounts because i know pigeon toed is a sign of that but hopefully these other forums help and wish you the best.

here is a forum with a similar problem https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-with-a-leg-foot-problem.314471/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/call-duckling-with-bad-legs.393494/
https://permies.com/t/139323/correct-pigeon-toed-duck

I have a duck i got from a farm who's one leg is pigeon toed but not as that bad he is fine and loving life has a bit of a funny waddle a have a few forums with video of how he waddles. I am not sure at what age they can have niacin since their food is supposed to be high in it but you could give him small amounts because i know pigeon toed is a sign of that but hopefully these other forums help and wish you the best.
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it! My little duck seems happy! She runs and walks fine it’s just her leg looks weird and she limps a bit. I’m getting some niacin tablets and hopefully it might get better as she ages!

Back
Top Bottom