Banana1107

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
Hello! I’m a first time owner of three ducklings who are a little over 4 weeks old. They’ve been doing great, but I noticed that the two pekins had an open wound on their legs so I’ve been treating those with Vetericyn Plus 3 times a day which are healing.

I did notice heavy breathing the ducklings and was worried about infection so my boyfriend bought them an antibiotic that is good for respiratory and skin issues. They’ve been taking that but I feel like their wheezing is getting worse.

Any advice is welcome and please tell me I’m just overthinking. Duckling Breathing

I’ve inserted a link to a video on Instagram. You have to listen closely.
THANKSSS

I don't have an Instagram account, so unable to watch the video. ... Many times young birds have trouble breathing if they are to hot. Do they have away to get away from their heat source?

Thank you for your response! Yes, I added a fan today in the room so it’s keeping it at 75 degrees, and they seem to be doing much better! The Pekins just seem to be much lazier than our Cayuga duckling who cools herself down quickly with water when she seems hot. Our male Pekin does seem to breathe a little faster than the female even when not too hot.

Thank you for your response! Yes, I added a fan today in the room so it’s keeping it at 75 degrees, and they seem to be doing much better! The Pekins just seem to be much lazier than our Cayuga duckling who cools herself down quickly with water when she seems hot. Our male Pekin does seem to breathe a little faster than the female even when not too hot.
Yeah, if they get hot they will pant/spread wings/sit around. you can use a bathtub for ducklings and a pond/kiddie pool for older birds. This is how they will cool down.

Back
Top Bottom