Duckling breathing problem?

So I’ve cooled it down now, there about 3 weeks old now so they barely even need a heat lamp. However now one of them is doing very quiet heavy breathing, (not panting) i can only hear it if I listen closely. And I’ve given him baths but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.

So I’ve cooled it down now, there about 3 weeks old now so they barely even need a heat lamp. However now one of them is doing very quiet heavy breathing, (not panting) i can only hear it if I listen closely. And I’ve given him baths but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Does your duckling always have this quiet heavy breathing, or does it come and go? And what is the temperature now?

Well I thought it was food or something getting stuck in his nostrils, but it always used to come out just by giving him a bath. Now it doesn’t seem to work.
Hopefully Isaac can help out, he knows more about ducklings than I do. And I'm hard of hearing anyway so it would be challenging for me to say if a quiet noise was even present, let alone typical. Lol. 😃

I tend to take my ducks to an avian vet, since they are precious pets to me. They can listen to your duck's respiratory system and tell you if there is a problem.

Last edited:

Could you post a video of the duckling breathing?

The video below is a duckling panting due to heat:

You can appreciate the rapid breathes the duckling is making, in an attempt to expel warm air, and replace it with cool ambient air to lower its body temperature.

The minor breathing above is fairly common with large breeds of ducks such as Pekins and is not necessarily indicative of a problem - they are heavy breathers.

The video above is more indicative of a problem, as you can notice the chicks are rather trying to inhale air into their respiratory system, rather than get the air out in fast pants.

Could you post a video of the duckling breathing?

The video below is a duckling panting due to heat:

You can appreciate the rapid breathes the duckling is making, in an attempt to expel warm air, and replace it with cool ambient air to lower its body temperature.

The minor breathing above is fairly common with large breeds of ducks such as Pekins and is not necessarily indicative of a problem - they are heavy breathers.

The video above is more indicative of a problem, as you can notice the chicks are rather trying to inhale air into their respiratory system, rather than get the air out in fast pants.
How do you post videos?

Back
Top Bottom