Duckling breathing problem?

Acting O.K, you don't hear any gurgling when the duckling breathes, it's eating/drinking fine (?) I would say leave the duckling be, and just monitor her.

What I'm seeing in the video is that she is possibly a little warm - that can happen when they're all piled up on each other. If you're seeing it even while she's in water, or in cool areas, it possible she has some debris accumulation in her nares, or choanal slit, which is causing limitations to the amount she can breathe in. I do not see anything from the video to indicate she is suffering from a serious problem.

Acting O.K, you don't hear any gurgling when the duckling breathes, it's eating/drinking fine (?) I would say leave the duckling be, and just monitor her.

What I'm seeing in the video is that she is possibly a little warm - that can happen when they're all piled up on each other. If you're seeing it even while she's in water, or in cool areas, it possible she has some debris accumulation in her nares, or choanal slit, which is causing limitations to the amount she can breathe in. I do not see anything from the video to indicate she is suffering from a serious problem.
Ah ok, yea he’s eating and drinking fine. I’m pretty sure it’s stuff stuck in his nostril like you were saying. He just can’t seem to get it out cause I’ve given him several baths.

What are good ways of clearing debris from their nares?

What are good ways of clearing debris from their nares?
I think most of the time, the gurus here have recommended using a dampened q-tip.

But can I just suggest that if you are continually cleaning their nares for them, they will not learn to do it for themselves.

I think you need to give them supervised access several times a day to a container of water deep enough for them to dunk their whole head under. This is how the duckies clean their own nasal passages and eyes. As they get bigger, they won’t be in danger of drowning and won’t need supervision. (Actually, that might be true now— Idk the ’lings ages...)

Also, did you notice above where it was explained that Pekins tend to be heavy breathers just by nature? You might be searching for a fix for something that isn’t really a problem. Maybe what you think are clogged nostrils aren’t really bothering the duck as much as you think they are? We tend to think of our critter’s discomforts in terms of how uncomfortable we would be in the same situation... but they are rarely as bothered by things as we imagine they must be.

Good Luck. I know it’s tough taking care of animals, figuring out what they need & what they don’t, etc. You are doing great— and your ducking is totally feeling your tlc and is absolutely better for it! :thumbsup

Can I ask how this duck is doing now? I have a three week old Pekin duckling whose breathing looks and sounds very similar. I’m trying to figure out how worried I should be.

Can I ask how this duck is doing now? I have a three week old Pekin duckling whose breathing looks and sounds very similar. I’m trying to figure out how worried I should be.
Well he’s much older now since that video, however he was recently diagnosed with pneumonia a week ago an he is now recovering with bio meds. I’m not sure if it was the pneumonia causing that breathing at that point in time, but it might be good to get a vet check just to be safe.

Okay, thanks for your response. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon, so I'm pleased to hear that wasn't an overreaction on my part. I'm glad your duck is recovering!

Back
Top Bottom