Duckling died. Why. Attached graphic picture

Ohh they are good moms if a ducklings is far away she will come running to get them and very overprotective. Even if a ducklings flips over both of them help them and hiss whenever I come to close to the babys an chase me. I even gave her an Easter egger turken mix and a another easter egger barnyard so 5 ducklings 2 chicks. They are sunch fierce moms I guess its like flipping coins to see which one you get with runners;)
:welcome can we see pictures?

Don't waste your energy worrying about the 2 little ones that you successfully hatched. They will be fine as long as you give them good nutrition and care which I know you are trying to do. Ducks need extra niacin so you should get some B-complex at Tractor supply and put some on their food. What kind of food are you giving them?

Do you need help with setting up an appropriate place for them to grow? A kiddie pool would be great for a brooder especially for just two little ducks and they will need that sooner than you can imagine.

This is how I had my babies. I bought a dog fence on Walmart that was collapsable and put around the pool around the cardboard to contain them. The cardboard is need to contain the ducklings until they get too big to fit through the holes in the fence. Standing up cardboard around the pool will work just fine too without the fence. I connected the pieces of cardboard with clothespins or put something heavy behind it.

I used puppy pads with pine shavings underneath as a cushion for them. Once they got bigger I stopped using the puppy pads and just went with the shavings.
View attachment 2673680

I made a watering tray so there wouldn't be a mess in the shavings and put one of those Dollar Tree shelf liners on the top of it so it would be kind to their little feet. The water they spill goes right into the tray instead of all into the shavings . Very simple to make waters out of things you already probably have around the house. As they get bigger you can make another waterer out of an empty gallon water jug. You won't need as many holes in your containers since you've only got 2 ducklings. View attachment 2673693
View attachment 2673697

If you need more help or ideas just ask. Enjoy your little ones and don't worry, just give them good food and plenty of clean water and they will bring you much happiness and joy.
Great ideas! Right now they are in a long tote, clear plastic. They seem to be sleeping away from the heat, so I keep raising the lamp. I'm giving them the save a chick in their water and they get flock raiser, non medicated. They are so cute. One is more outgoing and the other more reserved.. I have the tote on a table, but I know I will have to do something different/higher real soon. Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• 745BD8BC-5200-40E8-A83B-06884E186C95.jpeg
    745BD8BC-5200-40E8-A83B-06884E186C95.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CAD6B18D-1901-48D8-8919-36956C81BB2C.jpeg
    CAD6B18D-1901-48D8-8919-36956C81BB2C.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 12
I don't know why she died... Makes me really sad, I thought I was going to meet her today. Can someone give me some insight. I'm scared I did something. Can't stop crying.
I'm sorry about your little one. I lost one last week that pipped on the wrong end. Its heartbreaking. I've never lost a hatched duckling though. Like the others said, dont worry yourself over the ducklings. As long as they have the necessities, they should be fine. Enjoy them while they're tiny and fuzzy because they grow up so fast!!

If I was to guess, I hear duck eggs need even more moisture than a regular egg to hatch and don't do so well in incubators. I had a duck egg that had a crack from a hen on day 8- I put nail polish on it. I didn't think it would hatch, most of my eggs with a crack only made it to day 10. The crack was by the air cell. I thought it would lose too much moisture and the fact it was a duck egg insured that it would not hatch. I did always have it in an incubator with hatching chicks so the moisture was always up. This morning it hatched.
Billie.PNG

Back
Top Bottom