Duckling dying, what to do......?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, May 15, 2009.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] One of my Penciled Runners (darn!)from Holderread I got yesterday. I realised yesterday, one was not moving around much and seemed to be "lighter" ... I was hoping it just need to 'recover' from the trip--Oregon to Georgia , Tue afternoon to Thursday a.m. was a long trip!
    It is just lying, sitting, still light , lethargic, I it by the waterer and put beak in, , hardly could put head up, didn't seem to drink.
    I figure it 's just a matter of time , so am trying to decide the kindest thing to do.(and I am REALLY squeamish and can hardly stomach much that hurts my animals or people....
    Should I just leave him in the brooder till he expires?(it's very large) in a comfortable corner near the light? which is where he is now. Or put him in a separate box-with or without a light? Or have someone else dispatch him humanely? Which is worst, yikes. Dying slow near his own kind? Or quick, but not by me:/
    Any ideas?
    Honestly, I just don't want the memory of 'doing him in', though I can think of ways.
    As you can tell, I won't be eating my ducks or geese......

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I wouldn't put him downyet....sometimesthey are weak from shipping...put him in a box by himself with a little stuffed animal and try giving him some electrolytes or suger water.....sometimes they will eat a boiled egg yolk.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Thanks--just went to do that-- it had already died. [​IMG] I guess that is why it is nice they sent 2 extra....

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Actually It is not uncommon to lose one. I am so sorry you lost little one.

5. chills

chills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    oh, so sad to hear .. that part will hurt my heart .. sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by