Duckling eats only vegetables

_oxbl

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
I have a 1-month-old muscovy duckling that only eats vegetables, she refuses to eat the duck food, even if I added water to it, or crash it to make it easier for her to eat. By the vegetables, I mean cucumber and tomato, and lettuce. what should I do? she stays with her mother all the time, I try to give her food because they need it 24/7 but whenever I see the duckling she seems very hungry and she just keeps waiting for me to give her some veggies.

Animals shouldn't let themselves starve. If you take away all other food/treats other than the feed, she'll eventually have to eat it. By giving in and bringing her other things she'd rather eat, she'll keep holding out and waiting for you to bring in what she wants to eat.

Animals shouldn't let themselves starve. If you take away all other food/treats other than the feed, she'll eventually have to eat it. By giving in and bringing her other things she'd rather eat, she'll keep holding out and waiting for you to bring in what she wants to eat.
Exactly.
If you'd fill my fridge with candy bars guess what I'd be eating every day?

I did like what you said, but she keeps shouting and she seems very hungry :(
she literally tries to eat anything (plants from the gournd..etc) except her duck food

I had 3 other duckling and this the first time I struggle with it 🥲.

I did like what you said, but she keeps shouting and she seems very hungry :(
she literally tries to eat anything (plants from the gournd..etc) except her duck food

I had 3 other duckling and this the first time I struggle with it 🥲.
She will learn what to eat especially if she's with the momma duck. Grass is ok for ducks and muscovy will eat that.
At 1 mo old she has you trained. Are there other ducklings?
Stop feeding the veggies for now. None of the ducks will be harmed by cutting the treats out.
Is she able to access the feed? Are you sure she's not just screaming when you come because she knows you have goodies? Maybe she's eating when you're not around. She won't starve herself if there is food and water available.

There is no other ducklings (2 eggs were about to hatch with pudding "the duckling I'm talking about" but sadly they didn't make it), She's with her mother, and 1 other female Muscovy and a male. I hope that one of the current eggs that they have hatches so she can have a sibling.

okay, yes, she is able to access the feed, and the feed is in two different places just in case.

You're right, even if I'm in my room I can hear the ducks (if one of them made a sound, and even the duckling) So, I never hear her screaming except when I leave her without giving her some treats. So, I should not worry?

Back
Top Bottom