Duckling feed that can be fed to mom too?

ForeverSunshine

Songster
7 Years
May 10, 2012
Tennessee
So, I'm praying with all my might that Alexis, my duck, will hatch out some ducklings. She's been sitting on her eggs for a while now, so I have hope.

What I was wondering is: what can I feed my ducklings (on a tight budget) that can be fed to Alexis as well. I've heard that people are using chick starter if they can't find water fowl starter......Would starter be alright for her? Right now, since she's free to walk around all day, I'm giving her cracked corn, just so she has something to eat while she sits. (I keep the food dish right next to her nest). Would just cracked corn be enough for ducklings, or do they need more.

Also, I planned on keeping them in their house with only here until they're say, a month old? I have two drakes, and I've heard they can kill the ducklings. They'd have a very shallow feed dish and a rubber tub for a water tub. Too high for them? If I can't use that, what can I?

I'm a complete novice at this, so I need help. I don't know if they'll even hatch, but maybe. So if they do, I want it as stress-free as humanly (or duckly) possible.

Thank you!

I would think cracked corn wouldn't be a balanced diet for ducks or ducklings. I think it can be added to fatten them up. Ducklings need starter food or very fine almost powdery food so they don't choke. I got some food on bad advice from someone at TSC and it had cracked corn and other seeds in it, and I read on the bag to only use as a supplement.

I would think cracked corn wouldn't be a balanced diet for ducks or ducklings. I think it can be added to fatten them up. Ducklings need starter food or very fine almost powdery food so they don't choke. I got some food on bad advice from someone at TSC and it had cracked corn and other seeds in it, and I read on the bag to only use as a supplement.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, but I think they're fine on the cracked corn. The person we got them from only feeds hers cracked corn, and they're healthy. So are mine. They're far from scrawny, but not fat. They have full foam of over 6 acres including a large creek filled with fish and snakes and water-bugs. And they're only in their pen for like, 8-9 hours, so I believe it's okay. I probably should get something better for Alexis because she sits all the time and doesn't go foraging, but even she has plenty of bugs and grass in her pen. But yes, thank you for the advice. :)

I won't say all, but most, TSC employees know didly squat about what they sell expecially feed wise. With that being said a 50lb bag of starter/grower made by Dumor only costs about $15.....

I'd look for a flock raiser, that is what i have mine on.. it's non medicated and for poultry a day and up. If she is locked in with her baby there is no foraging so any extra nutrients are inaccessible. For young, i use a mason jar chick waterer that is enough while they are little then before long they can reach larger containers.

I kept my duck and her duckling confined indoors for a few days and then moved them to a pen, I have 3 drakes and other ducks, eventually mama duck had enough and literally flew out of the barn so i let the duckling go off with her.. we observed the drakes with it for awhile and then continued to check, the drakes had already met the baby through the various penned off areas so they were familiar with the bird.

It's now 4wks old and forages with the mama duck and everyone else which is mainly drakes as 2 of the other girls are sitting on nests. Everyone's mileage will vary though I can only share my experience with my birds.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the advice, but I think they're fine on the cracked corn. The person we got them from only feeds hers cracked corn, and they're healthy. So are mine. They're far from scrawny, but not fat. They have full foam of over 6 acres including a large creek filled with fish and snakes and water-bugs. And they're only in their pen for like, 8-9 hours, so I believe it's okay. I probably should get something better for Alexis because she sits all the time and doesn't go foraging, but even she has plenty of bugs and grass in her pen. But yes, thank you for the advice. :)

Sorry if I was confusing I was only talking about mama and her babies nutritional needs. Do you have a local feed store? We have one in my area and you can buy the chick starter/grower by the pound. It was only a dollar something a pound.

I'd look for a flock raiser, that is what i have mine on.. it's non medicated and for poultry a day and up. If she is locked in with her baby there is no foraging so any extra nutrients are inaccessible. For young, i use a mason jar chick waterer that is enough while they are little then before long they can reach larger containers.

I kept my duck and her duckling confined indoors for a few days and then moved them to a pen, I have 3 drakes and other ducks, eventually mama duck had enough and literally flew out of the barn so i let the duckling go off with her.. we observed the drakes with it for awhile and then continued to check, the drakes had already met the baby through the various penned off areas so they were familiar with the bird.

It's now 4wks old and forages with the mama duck and everyone else which is mainly drakes as 2 of the other girls are sitting on nests. Everyone's mileage will vary though I can only share my experience with my birds.

I'll have to look up that mason jar waterer. Sounds very clever. I figured I'd just leave them with her in that pen for a little while, just until they can withstand the current of the creek and are smart enough to not get beat up by a drake. Actually, since this weekend I'll have two pens, I was considered penning up the drakes while the babies are a few weeks old, but need to be out. I think that's what I'll do....Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Yes, duck food, really isn't THAT expenssive.....I can see it could get pretty pricey if you have alot of birds....but even the Flock Raiser is only $17
That's pretty cool. Still expensive, but I would've expected a starter to be more in the 20 dollar range. I pay $10 for the cracked corn now, and that lasts me over a month with just five ducks. I don't think I'd even need a full 50lb too. I would think just a 20-30 lb would be okay, if they sell that. All I have within my reach as far as feed stores go is TSC, so I'll browse their site for starters. You guys have been so helpful! Any tips on ducklings would be greatly appreciated! I want healthy ducklings that can expand my flock, and I'm sure I can get them.....Just need a little help!

Back
Top Bottom