Duckling feed

I'm dealing with a wild egyptian goose duckling that has angel wing. Beacuse it was a very late nest, close to migration time, I've been feeding them water fowl pellets that have 15% protein. Could I have contributed to it's angel wing? It's 8 siblings are fine so it might also have been caused by an accident but it would be good to know the correct percentage. Thanks :)
That doesn’t seem like the feed caused it. 15% is quite low more so for domestic goslings I think(I am not as gosling expert though especially on wild/ornamental breeds). I am not sure about % for wild ones though. Maybe it’s genetic? I have heard that some people think that. I haven’t heard that about wild ones though so I am not sure if it is possible. Some people also say it can be due to lack of proper exercise, do they have ample room to run around in? Have you been binding it in some way to fix it though? Best of wishes!
@Isaac 0 probably has some great info though!

I'm dealing with a wild egyptian goose duckling that has angel wing. Beacuse it was a very late nest, close to migration time, I've been feeding them water fowl pellets that have 15% protein. Could I have contributed to it's angel wing? It's 8 siblings are fine so it might also have been caused by an accident but it would be good to know the correct percentage. Thanks :)
@Gray Farms and @mothergoose keep Egyptians, maybe they can help you! Btw, if you have pics, I would LOVE to see them, I think goslings are so so so adorable!

Also, if you’d like you can ask your question again in either the geese forum-https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/geese.47/
Or the ornamental forum-https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc.46/post-thread

You might get more answers that way! Good wishes!

I don’t think my links work so if you’d like to, just go to the three lines in the top left corner, go to forums, scroll all the way down to geese or a bit lower to ornamental waterfowl, click on them, click on the blue button ‘post thread’ and you’re set. You may know all ready how to do this, I just want to make sure you can if you want to post your question or further questions on their! Hope that helps!

Generally, wild birds don't need feed, and in the long run, it may in a negative way affect their health, as you're making the bird's party dependent on you for food, as well as increasing the number of birds into a specific area which may contribute to higher disease transmission. Decaying pellets, bread, and other commonly fed foods at parks can cause bacterial, and algae outbreaks in ponds.

Sca, I live I already commented what might be the best plan for that goose in your other thread.

Sorry, I didn’t know the full story, I read your other thread and that makes more sense now. I didn’t know that they were actually living together in the wild and you hadn’t taken them in to brood. If they are staying 100% wild I agree with Isaac, you don’t need to feed them. I’d stay the angel wing is probably genetic, what have you been doing to help it? You could try wrapping it, that normally works. I hope someone can comment with helping wild waterfowl. I suppose you could do something animal rehliblator style, not bond just do the treatment and make sure they still have their wild instincts and behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom