Duckling Feeding Question

I apologize for a quick scan and missing it šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø
Part of why I included the ingredients as I was in the middle of chores and distracted lol
But Iā€™ve used it for about 8 years without any issues. One case of bumble foot over 15 ducks in that time frame.
Maybe Iā€™ve just been lucky šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø It doesnā€™t take a lot. I crush 3-4 per feeding twice daily for the 6 we currently have.
Just my $0.02
I just wasn't sure you were aware. šŸ˜‰ :)

I just wasn't sure you were aware. šŸ˜‰ :)
Thank you for the ā€œcatchā€
I appreciate it very much!
I have food allergies and donā€™t typically miss such obvious things. But. I did this time... let me know what you settle on. Perhaps Iā€™ll make a change-

Iā€™m putting my ā€œhard hatā€ on before I answer lol
But. I often brood turkey poults and ducklings together when small until they head off to their new homes, or, if Iā€™m bringing up some lil ones to augment our flocks....
I feed the ducklings and poults game bird starter when they are small, add some crushed brewers yeast tablets (niacin), and add a light dose of extra electrolytes / vitamins to their water (I get it from Murray McMurray hatchery...also use nutridrench from the feed store in a pinch but itā€™s not my preference.... different balance of vitamins etc)

Once I break them up/ as they grow, I switch them to a soy and corn free crumble (I am allergic to both of those ingredients and prefer to not feed it to my laying or meat birds....).
The game bird starter is 30% protein.
The Home Grown soy/ corn free is 18% if I recall correctly.
I add a bit of rolled oats to the soy/ corn free feed for the adult ducks to cut the protein a tick more. And I never stop the niacin. Just has worked well for us. Of course they also have free access to appropriately sized grit, and then oyster shells as they get a bit older.

Sorry I know Iā€™m not answering about the chickens- hopeful that perhaps someone else will weigh in (we donā€™t have chickens)

But. What I CAN say is. My ducks have always taken a very long time to feather out.
By about 20 days +/- they have the beginnings of what look like tail feathers starting to show up. Shortly after that, they start to slowly show signs of feathers growing in on their back, and wings.
Things start to happen pretty fast from there.
Ducklings in the pic are a month old for a comparison.
My heritage turkeys at a month old are pretty well feathered out and flying all over šŸ˜‚
Yeah, looking at your pictures, I feel like that's not at all close to where my ducklings are. Is it something to be worried about? I tried to get a good picture, but we are on a "field trip" outside and they're too busy enjoying themselves to stand still for my pictures šŸ˜‚

They're a little over 5 weeks old

Attachments

• 20230616_161005.jpg
    20230616_161005.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230616_160835.jpg
    20230616_160835.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, looking at your pictures, I feel like that's not at all close to where my ducklings are. Is it something to be worried about? I tried to get a good picture, but we are on a "field trip" outside and they're too busy enjoying themselves to stand still for my pictures šŸ˜‚

They're a little over 5 weeks old
Well- Welsh Harlequin feathers are more easy to see than (esp black) runners
(? Iā€™m guessing. Pls forgive me if Iā€™m wrong!)
But. I do still see feathers coming through in their tails, wings, and top of their backs.
Just out of curiosity,
- what is your warm and cool side brooder temp at this point?
- is your brooder indoor or outdoor?
- what state are you in/ are you dealing w the heat wave down south?
- if they are kept a little extra warm, due to weather, or the brooder being a bit warm on the ā€œcoolā€ side, sometimes they are a little slower to feather out in my experience.

Iā€™ve also only kept Welshies and Khaki Campbells, though. Iā€™ve not raised any runners...
Maybe the extra.... ā€œinsulationā€ from the extra fat and meat on my ducks helps to see them feather out a little more early?

They are lovely, regardless šŸ’•

Back
Top Bottom