Duckling flipping over twice in 24 hours?

lovesgliders

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Maine
As the title says, I am a little concerned. I have two WH ducklings, six days old. Twice in the past 24 hours, the littler of the two has started hollering, and when I came in, she was on her back flailing.

Once righted, both times she was tired but recovered quickly.

I am positive it was the same duckling both times.

I've raised ducklings before and never had this problem.

The only other symptom they seem to have is that they sneeze A LOT. But no eye or nostril discharge.

I did put them on paper towels instead of pine shavings, thinking maybe they were too dusty.

The ducklings are active, eating/drinking/pooping well and walk/run around the brooder fine.

Anything I can do? Should I be worried?

You may have a baby who needs more of certain nutrients. The first two that come to mind are niacin and thiamine. Do you have some poultry vitamins? I'd start there.

Has she had any spills that could have bonked her in the head? It does sound neurological.

If the duckling is deficient in some nutrients, the hollistic approach works for ducks better than it does for humans. Feed them more fresh food...chopped greens, whatever fruits they seem to like. Search out a safe foods list for ducks. Ducklings are no different than ducks as far as what they can safely eat.

The rolling over onto the back can just be coordination. Its early...at 6 days they are not the brightest or the strongest. If the bird is still doing that at 4 weeks...then its a problem. I've seen it before. The duckling is uncoordinated and not strong enough to turn over but they CAN make noise. They do that very well.

The sneezing....mine do it sometimes and I am not sure what causes it. When they start I add apple cider vinegar to their water. Thats supposed to help kill bacteria and aid the digestion. So far no ones gotten sick or had ill effects from the vinegar. Its a capful in a qt of water so its pretty weak. People take a tablespoon full to do the same things. Its good for you.

I'd add some greens, some vitamins and just observe. Make sure their drinking & dunking water is clean and deep enough to submerge their heads. Sneezing can be as simple as the duck trying to clear his nostrils....thats what the water is for. They have to blow after eating to clean the nose.
Handle them if you want them to be pets so they can become familiar and bond with their new mama. You won;t get them sick and they won't give you duck germs. Mine have tried...

Back
Top Bottom