Duckling flips over a lot and doesn’t walk well

SarahMcGuire

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
Friendsville, Maryland
Hello,
I am new to raising ducks and just got 10 from Metzer Farm via USPS. I just picked them up from the post office, they were hatched and mailed Monday and today is Wednesday. One of my Golden Layer Hybrids is not walking well and flips over a lot she is also shaking and not making much noise I took a look at her legs they do not appear to be injured but she walks like a runner duck almost straight up and when she stops she sits on her but like a dog. She can upright herself with out help but is constantly tipping over and when she moves it’s like always sprint that ends on her back. Any idea about what this could be from I’m worried by her behavior she will die before tonight...

Last edited:
:welcome sorry for the circumstances. I would suggest a multivatimin supplement or at least Niacin supplementation. Do an on site search on 'niacin deficiency'. Good luck at resolving this problem.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. I would suggest a multivatimin supplement or at least Niacin supplementation. Do an on site search on 'niacin deficiency'. Good luck at resolving this problem.
Do you think it would happen this soon? I ordered some brewers yeast before they came but I got an email saying from the Coronavirus they are backed up with orders and it could be another 6-9 days before it arrives....I do have duck starter in the brooder but when I read the ingredients and the breakdown I didn’t see anything about B3 or niacin in the food.

:welcome @SarahMcGuire do you have any Poultry Nutri drench? You can give it straight tiny drop right inside the bill. TSC carries it.
Not on hand but I could get some this is how she sits and rocks side to side while shaking.
1286BC16-8FAF-4D76-8CE3-3A5ABD4648C6.jpeg

How is she doing on drinking water and eating? She maybe dehydrated too. did they have any grogel in their box left over?
I showed her the water and food twice she has t touched either so far, it’s been about an hour that I’ve had them all in there....all that was in the box with them was an empty plastic cup so nothing at all was left when I opened them up.

Back
Top Bottom