Duckling foot issues

May 25, 2020
Marysville Washington State
Hey guys,
I have 4 newly hatched ducklings from my ducky family in the back, (I incubated their eggs) they hatched great and have been happy but I noticed these things on the bottom of their feet.
I did research and not sure if it’s bumble foot or a fungal infection or even warts. Some are worse then others.
Some info on the ducks: They get to swim once a day, they have shavings as bedding, they have “save a chick” in their water every day, and I mix In diatomaceous earth into their food.
I’m not sure what is causing this or what I should do..

Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it?

Attachments

• 13C066E1-A5F2-4BD6-ADC9-CF469E38FD99.jpeg
    13C066E1-A5F2-4BD6-ADC9-CF469E38FD99.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 10
  • C2481ADB-0AEC-483F-99E3-95B0B91B8796.jpeg
    C2481ADB-0AEC-483F-99E3-95B0B91B8796.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 8
  • F7187F4C-79CB-462C-8204-6EB5E1C50FC0.jpeg
    F7187F4C-79CB-462C-8204-6EB5E1C50FC0.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 607134D2-999A-443D-B879-3ED9CF3CA026.jpeg
    607134D2-999A-443D-B879-3ED9CF3CA026.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 8
  • B1F3044E-05D1-4E80-B48B-06EED8039455.jpeg
    B1F3044E-05D1-4E80-B48B-06EED8039455.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 62A10A55-13A8-4642-A7CD-43A32819AE1F.jpeg
    62A10A55-13A8-4642-A7CD-43A32819AE1F.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 5BE74D4C-674C-416E-95D0-D6483D739FDF.jpeg
    5BE74D4C-674C-416E-95D0-D6483D739FDF.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 8
Damn this is caused mainly by cuts right? can the wood shavings cause this? what bedding would be better for them?

unfortunately we don't have an poultry vets around Marysville where i am, but i have been soaking them in epson salts and applying ointments, they get to swim twice a day and we are currently outside together, i am unable to bandage them up since their feet are still really little so that makes it channeling so they usually end up sleeping with me until their feet dry

Any advice helps :)

Damn this is caused mainly by cuts right? can the wood shavings cause this? what bedding would be better for them?

unfortunately we don't have an poultry vets around Marysville where i am, but i have been soaking them in epson salts and applying ointments, they get to swim twice a day and we are currently outside together, i am unable to bandage them up since their feet are still really little so that makes it channeling so they usually end up sleeping with me until their feet dry

Any advice helps :)
I would Keep up the Epsom salt soaks and and I would also apply clear iodine to those bumble looking places when the feet are dry after soaking.
What kind of wood shavings are you using?
Yes. Bumble foot is usually caused when bacteria enters an open cut on the foot. Pine shavings shouldn't have been a problem..but I have had some that had sharper pieces in it.
Always Keep your brooder as clean and dry as possible. Very hard to do with ducks I know.
Also forget the DE in the food. It does nothing for them.

I would Keep up the Epsom salt soaks and and I would also apply clear iodine to those bumble looking places when the feet are dry after soaking.
Yes. Bumble foot is usually caused when bacteria enters an open cut on the foot. Pine shavings shouldn't have been a problem..but I have had some that had sharper pieces in it.
Always Keep your brooder as clean and dry as possible. Very hard to do with ducks I know.
Thank you, yea I’ll keep doing the epson salt baths, do I put the clear iodine water on it every time? I read somewhere that it said to use the iodine several days apart, also what do I do if it gets worse? Is there a possibility of it getting worse?
How long of this treatment before it should heal up?
I’m not sure what shavings it is the bag doesn’t say see attached photos.
I use the DE for all the birds to just to keep any parasites at bay,

the picture of the duck foot is bears foot. She/he’s has it the worst the other three have it much less,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 3
Thank you, yea I’ll keep doing the epson salt baths, do I put the clear iodine water on it every time? I read somewhere that it said to use the iodine several days apart, also what do I do if it gets worse? Is there a possibility of it getting worse?

the picture of the duck foot is bears foot. She/he’s has it the worst the other three have it much less,

I have used the clear iodine daily after soaks to treat a small bumble.
Sometimes it takes a long time to clear up.
I am not positive what's going on there it does not really look like the tale tell black scab of bumble in that photo. I would still treat it as such though. I'm not sure what else you could do.
The Epsom salt and iodine will hopefully draw out any infection.

Back
Top Bottom