Duckling has pipped but is stuck what should I do

Annap

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Hi
Well after hatching 16 lovely chickens I have just hatched my first ducklingand really really really need some help the first duck is fine had a drink and is now in the brooder along with having lots of cuddles the second chick has been pipped since yesterday and has chewed a huge hole in so his beak and bottom are sticking out the membrane has still got red veins in he's moving s
about I've started to help but don't know how far to go or if to just leave him
Please help x

Last edited:
Annap, there are a bunch of people here who hatch eggs - maybe you could add something about "duckling pipped, stuck - what should I do?" or something like that to let the hatching experts know you need them?

Duckyfromoz is one of the people who incubates duck eggs - she might be able to help (I don't know how many hours' difference between her and where you are, but it may be worth a try).

Thanks I'm new to the site and I'm still trying to figure everything out x

Congratulations on your first baby Annap, jdywntr is right - it can take DAYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for them to hatch... Sometimes I feel like it was a week between the pip and when they finally get themselves out.

If there is still veins you can see in the membrane - leave it be and keep up the humidity. The duckling need time to absorb the blood and the yolk. If it seems to be stuck or not able to turn to unzip by the time you read this- you could probably take it from the incubator and wet down the membrane with a Qtip. Making sure that there is no part sticking to the ducklings down. Sometimes ducklings that may be a bit stuck can hurt their bills on the edges of the egg shell. You may need to peel a little shell away- but dont peel more than where the air cell was - and dont tear the membrane.

Best of luck!! Your going to love raising those babies.

He's finally emerged from the bator and the egg but I've notice a fair bit of blood from what looks like his cord I did have him in the brooder but when I noticed the blood I put him straight back into the bator will he be ok? And why is he been bleeding

Often they can tear the last vein in trying to get out of the egg. in the incubator - the temperature will help speed up the blood clotting, so it should not bleed long. It may be a bit weakened from blood loss- so some vitamins in the water when it does come out of the brooder can help to perk it up a bit.

Quote:
And congratulations!!
wee.gif

Thanks everyone for the advice I now have all 3 fluffy babies fed and water in the brooder. The bleeding on baby 2 soon stopped after a while in the bator and lolling at him now you would never know. I was so scared something was wrong but he seems happy enough. You can read books and care sheets but nothing is as good as the advice you get on here no doubt I will be calling on you're help again soon . Thanks xx

Back
Top Bottom