duckling has trouble walking?

jnpfarms

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
I haven't been raising ducks for very long but this is the first problem I've come across.
Back story is I got these six 2 month old ducklings from some college idiot who lived in town and got them simply because his "girlfriend wanted them because they looked cute". Long story short idiot lives in city limits and gets tired of them and can't keep them due to city ordinance.
So I offer to take them - otherwise he said he was going to release them into a pond.
Well one of them has trouble walking. On a solid surface she can stand for a few minutes then her legs splay out. On any surface with traction she can walk fine but is slow and her gait is off. She's smaller than the rest (who for 2 months are small....underfed and improperly cared for anyone?) And I believe she gets picked on.

What's the best possible solution for her? I've got them on a chick starter and plan on moving them to a starter/grower in 2 weeks when they hit 10 weeks. I don't mind bringing her inside if necessary, but I would need to kick out the ducklings I do have before doing so (bigger than the two month olds and just as many feathers and they were bought at a week old 3/22/13).

What would be your course of action....any hope saving this little one or let nature take its course? I have no clue if she's eating, anytime I see her she is sitting by herself.

Sounds like it needs niacin. Ducks need more niacin than chicks do. Get some fowl starter if you can - Purina has a good one. Add some niacin into their water - 100mg regular niacin (not flush free) crushed into a gallon of water. Or sprinkle brewers yeast on their food. That will help get their strength up. If her legs are really splaying you will need to make her some 'hobbles' using a band-aid between it's legs. Read through the post below - I had the same problem with my duckling about a month ago. She's now walking about happy as a clam!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756861/duckling-niacin-deficiency

Thank you! I will try that!
And I wasn't sure if it was splay leg or not BC it only happens on slick surfaces vs ones with traction. On dirt she's fine, its just the dog kennel transport is where she seemed to have trouble

Thank you! I will try that!
And I wasn't sure if it was splay leg or not BC it only happens on slick surfaces vs ones with traction. On dirt she's fine, its just the dog kennel transport is where she seemed to have trouble
Any slick surface is rough on ducklings it tends to cause leg problems more than anything else.

My Cayugas came from a feed store where they were fed only unmedicated chick starter, and they had more trouble on slick surfaces then my hatchery duckling. As soon as I switched them to the flock raiser and supplemented with 100-150mg Niacin/gallon of water, they were much better. As a precaution, I do not let them on slick surfaces. If they slip and start to panic, it would just be too easy for them to hurt themselves. I will put shavings, straw, or even towels down to make sure they have some traction. Maybe try putting some bedding in the carrier? Good luck!

Oh, welcome! Thank you for giving those ducklings a chance at a real life! :)

thanks so much y'all! I have them in a large dirt run with a dog kennel. The dog kennel has hay and shavings in it to help with traction.
We had a cold front come in last night and the winds were horrific. I laid awake all night long worrying about them! But this morning they were happy and fine, cuddled in a corner together

She just had a seizure.....help?! She seemed fine afterwards, I put her in the water an let her splash around and she acted normal. Any advice?

My guess is that it's still just a vitamin or mineral deficiency. You could put some Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) in the water as well for some extra vitamins and definitely continue the niacin. The niacin will be good for all your ducks to take in. 100-125mg per gallon of water. Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Thank you! Ill get some of that today. I wish they made niacin in powdered form....have to crush the strait niacin pills and get them to dissolve is irritating! Lol
My guess is that it's still just a vitamin or mineral deficiency. You could put some Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) in the water as well for some extra vitamins and definitely continue the niacin. The niacin will be good for all your ducks to take in. 100-125mg per gallon of water. Keep us posted!

Thank you! Ill get some of that today. I wish they made niacin in powdered form....have to crush the strait niacin pills and get them to dissolve is irritating! Lol
Brewers yeast is powder - you can sprinkle it on their food and it supplies niacin as well as other nutrients they need. I get it in 4 lb buckets from AniMed on line.

Back
Top Bottom