1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sherry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Here's an off the wall question...

When eggs are incubated and hatched by Mama, do they start hatching in the morning and are finished within 24 hours? Is there really anyway to know this?

I ask because I want to take the babies from Mama. She was off the nest yesterday evening and I saw no babies. This evening I saw at least one and it was completely dry but I didn't know if I should take it/them tonight or wait until morning.

What do you guys think?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My duck's eggs hatch at all different times throughout the day. There is no certain time. Did all of your eggs hatch?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Duck eggs take ages to hatch, so I don't think any duck hatch would ever be over in just 24 hours. Also I think they will hatch at whatever hour of the day or night they feel ready. I know my chicks are like that, they turn up at all hours. Why are you wanting to take them away from her anyway? It's much easier to let the mother bird do all the hard work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by