Duckling hatched too early

Leigh Douglas

Hatching
Jul 24, 2022
Hi
I’ve a duckling that hatched and doing fantastically well however the other two eggs had pipped and were looking like they were hatching but the duckling has helped it more and I think it’s come out to early?? It looks swollen at the bottom or bloated?? Eyes still shut but is opening beak and cheaping a little but is still curled up like it’s in the shell?

Is there anything we can do or should we just leave them in the incubator? I’ve removed the other duckling 🐥 so it doesn’t interfere as that’s four days old now.
Thanks

Hi
I’ve a duckling that hatched and doing fantastically well however the other two eggs had pipped and were looking like they were hatching but the duckling has helped it more and I think it’s come out to early?? It looks swollen at the bottom or bloated?? Eyes still shut but is opening beak and cheaping a little but is still curled up like it’s in the shell?

Is there anything we can do or should we just leave them in the incubator? I’ve removed the other duckling 🐥 so it doesn’t interfere as that’s four days old now.
Thanks
Is the yolk all absorbed?

He’s under the heat lamp, he’s moving about a bit but looks so weak. There is a prominent red/tissue which looks abnormal and not like the other duckling. He’s cheeping and eyes open. I’m at work now so will see when I’m home.

I've seen that before on chicks, check if it's closed up when you get home. Can you give him some egg yolk and nutri drench? You can use your finger to drip it on his beak.
His egg yolk has gone eaten by the other duckling but I’ve got other eggs. Would I crack an egg and use the yolk out of that? Sorry if this sounds silly 😜
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/assisted-too-early.1521468/

Here's a great article! I love BYC, so much good information!
great thanks

There’s nothing attached to the duckling so think it was absorbed. Great article though.

I’ve a fresh duck egg which we haven’t incubated from the same duck. Thanks so much. My daughter just said it’s still alive moving about so that’s 24 hours. Hopefully it will make it

Back
Top Bottom