1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling hatched two days early and not eating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Horselover8795, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Horselover8795

Horselover8795 New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    I dont know what to do the poor baby is so lethargic and refuses to eat [​IMG] he imprinted on us but hes too tired to even make an effort to follow or even peep if we leave which with all other ducklings we've raised is weird since they normally scream their heads off. He only hatched yesterday around 7 pm and now its the next day at 12 pm is it normal that he still doesnt really walk or want to eat? i got him to drink so thats good im guessing. ALso as a side note i have no idea what breed he is hes all black with a tiny bit of white under his beak, the beak is mostly dark but with alittle pink and his chest isnt yellow or white, its silver. how odd

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I am pretty sure they dont eat for the first couple days because they are still absorbing yolk sac...
    But im Not 100% sure, Look it up on google. But I think thats how it goes.

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

My ducks are like my chicks........they stay in the hatcher for at least 24 hrs after hatching, sometimes 48, depending on the rest of the hatch. It gives them time to get their legs & strength up. Then they are usually ready to eat and join the other ducks or chicks in the brooder. Sometimes it takes an additional day before they actually eat, but will start drinking.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If he's drinking, you might try putting vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics in the water, see if he'll take some gro gel.

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by