Duckling hatching problems - advice appreciated

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mummyduck, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Mummyduck

Mummyduck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Cornwall, UK
    Hi, I'm new to this but I have been doing lots of research in preparation for hatching 6 runner ducks and I know the members of this forum give great advice. I now have a problem with my runner ducks. It's day 31. One duckling has hatched and is happy, energetic and healthy and is now in the brooder. Another duckling sadly died overnight as it hatched with it's yolk still attached.

I have one duckling who pipped last night and has just made a hole. It is cheeping and still pushing and I don't know whether to help it or not I am guessing not, but it doesn't seem to be progressing too much. The humidity is high - 70 - 80% and I have lightly sprayed the membrane with warm water to prevent it from drying out. Seeing as the one born yesterday hatched without having absorbed it's yolk I am hesitant to help this one in case it hasn't absorbed it's yolk either.

The other problem I have is that I have an egg that was moving slightly when I candled but hadn't pipped. I researched this problem and read that it may help to make a hole in the shell by the airsack, which I have done.I only did this because the ducks are hatching so late. However, the duckling is covered in a membrane and I can't see it's beak or head and I am assuming it is the wrong way round and hadn't even internally pipped yet. I am really worried about this one. I am leaving it alone but misting to prevent the membrane from drying. I know this is a bit of an essay but any helpful guidance would be greatly greatly appreciated, so that my other little runner duck has siblings! Thankyou.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
  3. Mummyduck

Mummyduck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Cornwall, UK
    Thanks for that [​IMG] I realised after I posted that I had sent it to the wrong place!

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I hope all is going well. I only help if it has been at least 30 hrs. since the intial pip. [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. Hope everyone is doing fine [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Hope you get your question answered!! [​IMG]

8. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Good Luck with the ducky!

WELCOME!

[​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]