Duckling have arrived! (What now??)

Elly88

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2017
Hello all!

After a failed attempt early in the spring (I'm in Australia), my lovely one-eyed muscovie Pirate has just hatched out 5 ducklings! They arrived yesterday, what a surprise to see their tiny little fluffy heads poking out when I went to check the water in the afternoon.

So.. what now? I have put a shallow dish of water nearby, as the main waterer in the coop is too high for them. What can they eat? My hens and ducks get a mixed grain and lots of scraps.. not sure what they'll eat, I assume mama will show them where to drink? so far they haven't moved out of the nest and I've only seen a peek of their heads, how long should it take for them to start wandering around? Will they be ok in the house with all the hens and the rooster? Her nest is in an open corner of the coop, I was thinking of placing a small table over it so they are a bit more protected.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

So, what do you recommend? The grain mix is what the local feed store recommends and what my mum has used forever for her chooks. They also free range over a large yard, and currently in my garden which I'm letting them turn over.

So, what do you recommend? The grain mix is what the local feed store recommends and what my mum has used forever for her chooks. They also free range over a large yard, and currently in my garden which I'm letting them turn over.
Do you feed a chicken feed, or just whole grains? By chicken feed I am referring to chicken grower, layer, starter, or maintenance feed.

It's called their poultry grain mix, it's a mix of whole grains/seeds, and when questioned on whether they needed something more specific two different staff members there have told me it's the best thing.

It's called their poultry grain mix, it's a mix of whole grains/seeds, and when questioned on whether they needed something more specific two different staff members there have told me it's the best thing.
Hmmm, interesting. Generally whole grain feeds are avoided, because the chickens can pick out what they like and skip over the bits they don't like, providing an incomplete diet. Chickens have a specific set of dietary needs, including protein, calcium, fats, etc.
Here is a list of the different types of poultry feed.
Here is a good thread on feeding whole grains to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom