Duckling having serious problems. I need some Advice please :(

Pumpkinpup

Poultry Princess
12 Years
Jul 16, 2008
North-West Georgia
Ping Ping is acting very strange and I fear something is very wrong with her. She does not seem interested in food nor does she try to flee the hand as the other ducklings do when I reach into the tote. She belongs to a friend of mine and I have almost no experience with ducks so I am not much help. I'm trying to help Elaina figure out the right thing to do for her.
She seems off balance and leans to her right side. The right foot also turns inward now and it was not previously that way.
hu.gif

She has her in a large wash tub in the bathroom on shavings with her siblings. She is feeding Dumor 20% chick starter grower and it says it is for ducklings. We are both at a loss as to what to do for the baby.
She has been VERY diligent about keeping the makeshift brooder clean and keeping the babies fed and watered well.
Do any of you have any advice you can offer? It will be greatly appreciated.

13220_046.jpg

You can see in the pic how she leans off balance and how the foot turns in.

Last edited:
How old is Ping Ping? My duck was very unstable when she was less then 24hrs old. She was "pigeon toed"

If your is older.... then I'm not sure...But I'm sure someone else may have some ideas

Was she getting stepped on in the brooder? I had an Aussie that started acting funny, come to find out she was getting squashed. I moved them to another brooder and they are fine now. Not much more I know to say other than I hope she gets better
hugs.gif

Her crop actually looks really full, are you sure she is not eating? Does it feel round and somewhat firm to the touch? When I have had ducklings that start getting wobbly, I always add brewer's yeast to their food. It has worked wonders for me so far, but not knowing more about your duck's situation makes it very hard to say if it would help in this case or not.

Thanks everyone for your replys. Poultry Princess posted the question for me since I did not have a log in name yet. I think that Ping Ping was being stepped on by other ducklings since they are somewhat larger than her. I separated them and she seems to be doing much better. Thanks, again, everyone. I look forward to many more post!
smile.png

Skeeterduck, you need to go to the introductions section and tell everyone about yourself and how you came to join BYC
smile.png
I am glad Ping Ping is now doing a bit better. She is a sweet little duck and can't stand the thoughts of her hurting
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom