Duckling having trouble breathing through nose?

Emmytheduckgirl

Songster
Aug 1, 2019
Hey BYC! I’m worried for my Peking duckling! She this morning has been sounding like she is stuffed up in her nose and I want to make sure she’s ok! She has water and everything but I’m worried that she can’t breathe! She seems to be fine but she just keeps making weird noses through her nose! What should I do? I have run water over her nose but nothing seemed to happen!

Try giving her a warm bath. I found a lot of my ducklings clean their nares better during bath time. Plus the warn water will help dislodge it. Also take a look at her nares and see if there is anything in there. If you see something, you want to carefully remove it.

As last resort, you can gently put luke warm saline solution through her nares, but you will need to be careful it doesn't go into her lungs. You need to turn her head to the side and all it to flow in one nare and out the other.

Pekins are not the most cleanily ducks. And one of mine had this problem as a duckling a lot, despite having a deep water dish. The bath helped the most in preventing.

Ok thank you! It seemed to help a lot but now another duckling is clogged up too! Gosh these ducklings are crazy! This duckling seems to have one nostril plugged and I can see it’s covered by a layer of buggers so I’ll give him a warm bath too! Thanks for all the help!

Glad to hear it helped. Yeah, Pekins are not the best at cleaning themselves. When I raised them, I would give all of them a bath each day. Even with deep water dishes, they were just not very good at cleaning themselves. Like @sourland mentioned, they do need deep enough water in their brooder. A lot of people use tupperware containers with holes in them big enough to fit their head. If you don't have deep enough water, changing that should help prevent it. However with Pekins, you can still have issues.

My adult female will stand outside a small pool, dip her head in the like she is in the pool and flap her wings like she just got a bunch of water on her back and is cleaning. Instead she barely got her beak wet. I love her, but she is not the cleanest duck.

Yup! Perkins are very messy! I’ve raised them for years but I never found a trick that would help but the warm bath definitely helps! One of my ducklings nostrils is almost completely shut but I think it’s just how his beak was built cause he’s been like that for a while! He does clean his nose in the water but it doesn’t seem to help! He seems fine just has trouble with that nostril. Here is a picture. It’s not the beat picture because he wouldn’t sit still. Do you guys think he will be ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 15
Yup! Perkins are very messy! I’ve raised them for years but I never found a trick that would help but the warm bath definitely helps! One of my ducklings nostrils is almost completely shut but I think it’s just how his beak was built cause he’s been like that for a while! He does clean his nose in the water but it doesn’t seem to help! He seems fine just has trouble with that nostril. Here is a picture. It’s not the beat picture because he wouldn’t sit still. Do you guys think he will be ok?
They are lovable messy ducks. I am glad the baths helped.

I am not sure as much about the nostril. It is still hard to see what is going on the picture. I completely understand how it would be hard to get a good close up picture. @Isaac 0 would know more about it if the beak is abnormally formed.

Back
Top Bottom