Duckling help. Urgent!!

animalsrule1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
We ordered our ducks from efowl hatchery months ago, and finally they arrived a little less than a week ago. But, the issue is, after we'd had them for three days, suddenly, seven ducklings were acting weird (not eating, sluggish, etc.) and then just died. The same happened in similar fashion to fourteen of our other ducklings. No idea why this happened. We only have two ducklings left, one looks like we may be able to lose her, and the other one looks totally fine. What do we do? Especially if we lose the sick one. Is it even possible to raise a single duckling by itself?

I'm so sorry for your loss. For the last part of your question, it is possible to raise a duckling by itself but it is not recommended. Ducks are very social animals and need a permanent friend. If you have the time and dedication to be that partner then that is acceptable, however if (like a lot of us) are busy with work and families than a second animal is required or the poor little duckling will be lonely and not do well. Good luck!

Last edited:
We ordered twenty six, But the order was mixed up and we were sent only twenty three. That issue was already resolved with the Hatchery. So far! I've emailed the Hatchery about this issue and got no response.

Purina, unmedicated chick/duck starter and grower. I don't know the brooder temperature, as we don't have a thermometer, we set it up the same way we usually do. Raise the lamp if they look to hot, and lower the lamp if they look too cold. They we're fine with this until two nights ago. weve been using pine shavings, which in the past we found was the best with our set up. And the easiest to keep clean.

Something affecting so many of them sounds either environmental or possibly viral.

Incorrect brooder temperature could cause lethargy, loss of appetite and death. So would moldy food, and there are mosquito-borne illnesses that ducklings are susceptible to.

Do they have water 24/7? I am not sure how familiar you are with ducklings - not trying to accuse or insult, but trying to figure this out, not being able to be there.

No, not insulted at all. Yes, they have 24/7 access to water. The bag of food is band new, and I haven't seen signs of mold or even rodents having affected it yet. What could aa viral infection be? Sadly, I lost the sick one, and am down to my last duckling. If there are any preventative measures I can take, I'd really love to hear.

My two cents.......change everything, create a makeshift brooder, different dishes and food. Maybe bottled water as well.

I think revans2003 has an idea worth trying - in case it is environmental - If it's viral, then anything that boosts the immune system would be worth a try, like poultry vitamins a couple of times a week.
hugs.gif
And I would get after the vendor.

Thank you guys. Ill let you know it turns out with our one little baby. (We'll probably try and find her a duckling or two for friends from someone nearby.)

Back
Top Bottom