1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling imprinting behaviour

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by snickers81, Oct 27, 2012.

1. snickers81

snickers81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Just wondering if my female ducks (hand reared) are showing submissive behaviour or imprinting behaviour towards me?

When I go outside they come over to me - 2 will immediately lower their head and necks and slightly spread their wings and then I pet them for a wile. The 3rd will always be over first and chatter away like mad for a while with a lot of head bobbing before assuming the stance. She took a lot longer to want fuss than the other 2 and is more wary despite being hand reared and lots of cuddles as a duckling!

I'm just interested really in duck behaviour as I don't have a lot of experience and can't find much on this subject- love the fact that they are all so tame.

2. LissyB

LissyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow I wish my ducks were that tame!!! I don't know what they are doing. Ducklings imprint on the first living thing they see. have they done this before? How old were they when you got them? I love animal behavior stuff! Want to be a behaviorist (for animals) when I grow up, so this is very interesting!

3. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    they want to have your babies

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Ah, yes, that is one way to put it. . . .

5. LissyB

LissyB Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by