Duckling Infected/broken leg??

I have not seen anything thing like that. The closest thing it reminds me of is scaly mites, but I don't think it can do that much damage that quickly.

My other thoughts would be something more exotic that a vet would likely need to diagnosis. An autoimmune disease or some rare bacteria infection. Or maybe a fungal infection.

I would probably try using hydrocortisone ointment and bacatracin. Ointments in particular will help seal in the moisture in the skin. The hydrocortisone should help with the inflammation and the bacatracin will help with any infection. The only problem I see if the skin is as delicate as you say, it will likely peel off more. It sounds like that may happen one way or another though.

The Epsom salt bath I am not sure I would continue or not. The salt in the bath could be drying out the skin even more. Usually salt is used to remove excess fluid from inflamed tissue. You do have swollen tissue, but you also have the dry skin too. I know it is the go to on things like this, but it may not be helping. I would try stopping it for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

I have not seen anything thing like that. The closest thing it reminds me of is scaly mites, but I don't think it can do that much damage that quickly.

My other thoughts would be something more exotic that a vet would likely need to diagnosis. An autoimmune disease or some rare bacteria infection. Or maybe a fungal infection.

I would probably try using hydrocortisone ointment and bacatracin. Ointments in particular will help seal in the moisture in the skin. The hydrocortisone should help with the inflammation and the bacatracin will help with any infection. The only problem I see if the skin is as delicate as you say, it will likely peel off more. It sounds like that may happen one way or another though.

The Epsom salt bath I am not sure I would continue or not. The salt in the bath could be drying out the skin even more. Usually salt is used to remove excess fluid from inflamed tissue. You do have swollen tissue, but you also have the dry skin too. I know it is the go to on things like this, but it may not be helping. I would try stopping it for a few days and see if it makes a difference.
I found a vet that will see him at 2pm today. He is not an avian vet but he is trusted and has seen all of my animals pretty much my whole life. He did say that we could treat for infection if there were any.
I will be sure to ask about bacterial/fungal infection or autoimmune. I will update as soon as I get back. Thank you all so much for your help!

@BeccaV
How did the appointment go ?
Sadly, he wasn't very much help. He didn't think it was infected. Said his hocks might be a little swollen from resting on them. He felt for sure it was an injury. He described it as being similar to a brush burn in humans, like he was dragged across something. He said the little thread of webbing that was left between the toes was acting as a restrictor causing the outside toe to curl over. His assistant asked if they should cut it but he said to leave it. Keep it clean and keep him from running around until it heals more.
He is doing great this morning. Went for a swim in the tub and preened himself after. His balance is surprisingly good considering.
I might try the shoe once it looks like the skin stops shedding.

Sadly, he wasn't very much help. He didn't think it was infected. Said his hocks might be a little swollen from resting on them. He felt for sure it was an injury. He described it as being similar to a brush burn in humans, like he was dragged across something. He said the little thread of webbing that was left between the toes was acting as a restrictor causing the outside toe to curl over. His assistant asked if they should cut it but he said to leave it. Keep it clean and keep him from running around until it heals more.
He is doing great this morning. Went for a swim in the tub and preened himself after. His balance is surprisingly good considering.
I might try the shoe once it looks like the skin stops shedding.
Glad he is doing so well considering
My guess would be the attacker went for him and mom stepped in to safe baby

Attachments

• 20220712_182322.jpg
    20220712_182322.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom