Duckling is choking! Help!!!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I went out to check on the brooder babies, to find one with a chunck of food stuck in its neck! What can I do to help? Hes going to a new home soon. And I don't want him to die, then his buddy will be lonley! Help!

Is he breathing okay?
conscious?

If he is having trouble breathing, or cannot clear it by himself,

"pull its head forward until it is in a straight line with the neck, open the bill by squeezing with the thumb and index finger on both corners of the bill and push your finger, a piece of 1/2 inch rubber tubing, or the eraser end of a new pencil down the bird's throat until the obstruction is dislodged."

SGtRD

Last edited:
I would watch him for a few, if he has no trouble breathing, but if it is not going all the way down, you may need to gently help it down.

See the edits to my response post above.

Also, some people do okay by lightly massaging the throat toward the tummy.

But have something ready like the tubing or pencil just in case.

Another thought.

what is it that is stuck?

Would it dissolve in water?

In that case, try (without grabbing his neck) dipping his bill in lukewarm water a few times.

I am going to need to step outside for a bit . . . pm me if you need me, I will try to keep my cell phone near to check messages. Please bear with me if I cannot immediately respond.

hugs.gif

Its non medicated chick starter. I have offered lukewarm water. Not sure if its going down slowly or what...

Thanks Amiga :hugs

If it is chick starter, then water might help, and it should dissolve, though ducklings get themselves into the strangest pickles. I declare.

How's the baby now?

I can't thank you enough for this post. Tonight we almost lost 2 of our 4 day old ducklings. They were choking and we tried rubbing their necks and giving them water and nothing was working. They were frothing and gasping for air and I googled choking ducklings and came to this site. Their throats are too small for a pencil, but the end of a paint brush was just the right size. This is our first hatch and we were really worried and are so happy they survived. Thank you for taking the time to post an answer to the person who asked the choking question.

Back
Top Bottom