Duckling is having a hard time

JaredandLauren

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
I just got ducklings today and I know there’s always a chance that at least one won’t make it, but I want to try everything I can to help it. He/she seems very unstable on her legs and kind of topples over if she tried to stand up to walk . She managed to kind of roll over to her water for a drink but is not moving around with ease like the rest of them. Do ducklings get splayed leg like chicks do or is it something else?
Thanks!

I just got ducklings today and I know there’s always a chance that at least one won’t make it, but I want to try everything I can to help it. He/she seems very unstable on her legs and kind of topples over if she tried to stand up to walk . She managed to kind of roll over to her water for a drink but is not moving around with ease like the rest of them. Do ducklings get splayed leg like chicks do or is it something else?
Thanks!
They can get splayed legs if they are walking on a slippery surface.
Or if they just hatched like that.

Could just be that it needs a little more niacin.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Do you have a video of the duckling?

If you have access to a feed store, I suggest getting a poultry vitamin such as Nutri-dench, or poultry cell and attempt to give the duckling a drop or two, either by dripping a drop along with its bill or by soaking a cotton swab in the mixture and wiping it in its mouth.

Electrolyte and fluids deficits can be a common problem with ducklings so such treatment would address both scenerios. If the duckling is willing to eat you can try offering warm mashed scrambled eggs as that would provide some nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom