Duckling just hatched still attached to egg!

Feb 20, 2020
My husband and I incubated some duck eggs. We apparently made some mistakes because only one hatched. The one that hatched is still attached to the egg at his belly. Is this fine? What should I do? Will he be ok?!

Attachments

• A5E49222-3B72-400A-957A-1079C2C6CBF8.jpeg
    A5E49222-3B72-400A-957A-1079C2C6CBF8.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 29
There's not that much leftover yolk, so he should be fine, as far as aftercare I'd recommend applying a small amount of an antibacterial ointment to keep his navel area from getting infected, as well as keeping his brooder clean, and dry.

There's not that much leftover yolk, so he should be fine, as far as aftercare I'd recommend applying a small amount of an antibacterial ointment to keep his navel area from getting infected, as well as keeping his brooder clean, and dry.
So I should take him out of the incubator then and put him into a brooder to dry out?

So I should take him out of the incubator then and put him into a brooder to dry out?

I would *probably* leave him in there for a few more hours, then take him out. I can see the humidity is pretty high in your incubator, so it will take quite a while for him to dry if you don't take him out.

Back
Top Bottom