Duckling limp leg?

Ty_Duck

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
Hi folks! First time ducker here and was hoping to get some veteran duck eyes on one of my 2 1/2 week old Khaki Campbell's as it looks like she is having a tough time on her legs the past few days. She's still eating and drinking with vigor but will immediately sit down when she reaches her water or food, and noticeable is having trouble standing for more than a few seconds. Today we started sprinkling in nutritional yeast over their food for possible niacin deficiency, hoping that begins to curb her limping.

Anyway we have a live feed setup, would be very appreciative to get some more knowledgable eyes on the situation and make sure we're approaching this the right way: https://floranoble.com/duckcam
(It should be easy to identify the duck in question, Poppy is the smaller, darker colored duckling.)

THANK YOU!!

:welcome

Live duckling cam? How awesome!

I agree, It sounds like a Niacin deficiency, Brewers yeast is good for preventing a B3 deficiency, but she needs a good dose of B3 fast, What i would recommend is getting Cattle B injectable for cattle, available at most feed stores. I'd administer 1/2ml to the one ducklings orally with a eye dropper or syringe, be careful not to aspirate the duckling, another option would be too spread the liquid over their favorite treat, since you have two ducklings you could go 1ml and let them both eat the feed and they'd be getting around 1/2ml both. This would be once a day until symptoms stop.

I definitely recommend continuing the brewers yeast for preventative measures, here is a picture of the brand as well as some helpful Niacin deficiency links in waterfowl.

1586038566487.png

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html
http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/niacin-deficiency
Administering oral fluids to poultry-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

@MasterOfClucker

Thanks so much for the reply and links! We have some B Complex in liquid form that we picked up at Walgreens yesterday but not nearly the potency of the one you suggest. We'll give her some from that in the mean time and will head to the farm store in the morning as they're closed now. Thanks again, we're new to this and just want our ladies to be happy and healthy!

Picked up some of the B complex recommended above and put 1/2 ml over Poppy's favorite snack, cut up oats and let them soak. These two duckies are basically joined at the hip so the hardest part was keeping her sis Maple occupied with treats so Poppy could get her fill before Maple comes in and vacuums it all up. Will keep you all posted, again very much appreciate the help.

Hi all - Day 3 of giving our duckling Poppy a 1/2 ml of B complex once a day with her food has done wonders! There are still times where she prefers to sit and drink/eat rather than stand but compared to a few days ago where she had trouble just standing, my guess is with her current trajectory she should be back to her normal self with a few more daily treatments. She's starting to catch up to size with her sis, it's getting harder to tell them apart which is a very good thing! Will continue to update and post pics and hope we're on the right track to help her be a happy, healthy duck again.

Hi folks, well it's been about a month since my last update. Happy ducks! We continued with the B complex daily for about two weeks total and continue to add brewer's yeast to their food and all sign of Poppy's limp leg is gone. At once she was smaller than Maple and now a month later she is a touch bigger than her sis. Thanks again for all your help and guidance, here's a photo of the girls resting after a successful outing foraging for slugs, their favorite!

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.22.26 AM.png

Hi folks, well it's been about a month since my last update. Happy ducks! We continued with the B complex daily for about two weeks total and continue to add brewer's yeast to their food and all sign of Poppy's limp leg is gone. At once she was smaller than Maple and now a month later she is a touch bigger than her sis. Thanks again for all your help and guidance, here's a photo of the girls resting after a successful outing foraging for slugs, their favorite!

View attachment 2135798
What a wonderful outcome. They look very happy! :clap :love

Back
Top Bottom