Duckling Making Squawking Sound?

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
My almost 6 week old ducklings starting making this squawking sound. Is this normal?

I am not sure. He did it a couple times this morning when I was letting him excersize in a room. I don't think he was in distress actually.

Like quacking? i know all my mallard derived starting at 5-6wks to gain their voice(for the sex they were) that is how i knew what i had for my calls long before feathering confirmed it.

Last edited:
Like quacking? i know all my mallard derived starting at 5-6wks to gain their voice(for the sex they were) that is how i knew what i had for my calls long before feathering confirmed it.

No it was not quacking it sounded almost like something a chicken would make. It litterally sounded like a squawk. Nothing I have ever heard a duckling make.

Yes he only did it a couple times.
Might have had a little feed stuck, one of my Scovy ducks [old one] does that once in a while first time I heard it scared me because I had never heard any of them do it, so of course I go running around to the front where they stay during the day, looked at her and of course she was fine, what made me think of this was she did it this morning again.

I feed him non-medicated chick starter feed and I sometimes give him some mealworms as a special treat. I am not feeding him grit. Should I start to?

Back
Top Bottom