Duckling panting and sneezing

Waddles_and_Waffles

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
Hi, I have a two week old Ancona duckling that is panting and sneezing. She seems ok while in the brooder though. This is my first time raising ducks so I’m not sure if I’m being overprotective but it just doesn’t seem right. He/She is still eating and drinking and acting like a normal duck besides the occasional sneezing and panting which occurs mostly when I hold him/her, but I don’t think it’s stressed because it loves to follow me around and jumps on my lap to be held. I tried giving it a warm bowl of water to help flush out its nose and it happily dunked its nose in a tried to clear out its nose, but the panting has still continued. Any ideas or suggestions?

:welcome
Do your ducklings have water to dunk their heads into all the time? It's very important especially when eating. Sneezing can be from dusty bedding, dusty feed. You can add 1 Tab of ACV to one gallon of drinking water for a tonic and can help with any nasty bacteria. But if she is eating drinking and running around like a normal duckling hopefully that means it's nothing serious, As for panting that can be normal too her body heat and yours might be the issue. If she is warm panting is how they cool off. As long as she is doing everything like a normal duckling just keep an eye on her. Can you see anything clogged in her nares?

I don’t think so, here’s a pic of her as she is laying down with her mouth open

Attachments

• F62924F6-DF68-4EF4-9A23-0C871A2158CE.jpeg
    F62924F6-DF68-4EF4-9A23-0C871A2158CE.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 7
@Waddles_and_Waffles Did everything work out okay? We have a three-week old duckling now that is doing a similar thing.

We're not overly concerned because the duckling is eating well, running around, dunking its head, etc., but I agree it is disconcerting to see when it's not overly warm.

@Waddles_and_Waffles Did everything work out okay? We have a three-week old duckling now that is doing a similar thing.

We're not overly concerned because the duckling is eating well, running around, dunking its head, etc., but I agree it is disconcerting to see when it's not overly warm.
Yes, she is doing great! We ended up taking her to the vet and spending 100 dollars only to find out that she was completely fine! It did give me peace of mind though. As long as they are behaving like normal ducks and acting healthy, I think you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom