Duckling Questions

CameoBua

Chirping
May 20, 2014
Tomball, TX
Rescued these babies today that were dumped at a cat and dog shelter.

I have a lot to learn about ducks so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Any idea what breed these are?
Age?
How to sex?
Any tips and tricks to caring for them.
This is a temp set up with pine shavings in my garage. Bought a small chicken coop tonight to start them in until we can build a bigger enclosure for them as they grow.
Also any idea if they will hang around or will they eventually fly off? We do have a creek at the back of our property so curious if they will hit the road once they find that?

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 68B45500-0E24-44F0-ACED-2B44352257EA.jpeg
    68B45500-0E24-44F0-ACED-2B44352257EA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • D26DA034-9C69-439B-B38D-673AB312484D.jpeg
    D26DA034-9C69-439B-B38D-673AB312484D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
probably around 2 weeks old, they are too old to vent sex so you will need to wait until they get their voices in about a month

they are domestic so will need to be PETS their entire life (10+ years) and releasing them is illegal and they’ll die

they need a heat lamp still because they have no adult feathers to keep them warm

feed duckling starter with water available 24/7 so they don’t choke. dried bugs and veggies make great treats. they’ll be full grown by 3 months so enjoy the time they are babies

Your ducks look like black swedish, some of the coloring on one looks like they may be mixed breeds. Most domestic breeds do not fly, including the black swedish. These are domestic ducks that will completely rely on you for food. They will starve if they are not cared for by someone.

You will want to make sure you do not give the ducklings medicated feed. You can feed them chicken starter crumble, but you will want to make sure it has enough niacin in it. You can add brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast to the food. You want to always provide water to the ducks and make sure it is deep enough for them to dunk their heads in. That is how they clean their nares and eyes.

You will want the entire floor covered in a thick layer of shavings, the concrete will hurt their feet over time and can lead to bumblefoot.

You will also need a coop for them ASAP. They grow extremely fast. They require 4sq ft per duck, assuming you plan on keeping them all. You also want to avoid a ramp for a coop, since ducks don't like going up ramps.

Thank you so much for your replies. I’ve got a heat lamp set up and added more shavings to the floor. This set up was definitely temporary as I had no idea I would be getting ducklings. We just moved to 25 acres so will get an enclosure built ASAP and they will definitely remain pets now that I know this.

They are currently eating Purina flock raise crumble. How soon can they start on pellets and do you recommend a different brand? Ran to tractor supply and this was all they had but can look for something better today.
Will they do ok with steps instead of a ramp?

I read something about them not having the oils that mama would provide to dry them off. They are swimming in their bowl and I will be picking up a kiddie pool tomorrow. Anything different I should do for them at this age as far as the water and drying them off etc?

Thank you again!

Thank you so much for your replies. I’ve got a heat lamp set up and added more shavings to the floor. This set up was definitely temporary as I had no idea I would be getting ducklings. We just moved to 25 acres so will get an enclosure built ASAP and they will definitely remain pets now that I know this.

They are currently eating Purina flock raise crumble. How soon can they start on pellets and do you recommend a different brand? Ran to tractor supply and this was all they had but can look for something better today.
Will they do ok with steps instead of a ramp?

I read something about them not having the oils that mama would provide to dry them off. They are swimming in their bowl and I will be picking up a kiddie pool tomorrow. Anything different I should do for them at this age as far as the water and drying them off etc?

Thank you again!
It is completely understandable considering you are rescuing these little guys.

Your feed should be fine. I am not familiar with purina flock raiser, and it's levels of niacin. Niacin is important for proper development or you can get problems with their wings, legs, and neck. Niacin can always be added to the food or water if needed.

Sorry, let me clarify. When I say no ramp, you want the coop on the ground basically. Ducks don't like going up and down ramps because of the height and incline. They can learn to use it, but it is better and easier if their coop is on the ground. If you do the ramp, you want as little incline as you can get. They won't be ready to go into the coop till at least 4 weeks of age even older depending on your weather. But that day approaches shockingly fast.

Ducks love to jump in water, even the tiniest bowl. With a heat source keeping them warm, they should be ok. I like to give mine a container with some holes in it just big enough for their heads to drink. It keeps the water mess down

Congrats on your new flock. Def look like black swedish. Depending on the protein percentage in your feed, they may need to have rolled oats added to bring their protein intake down to around 16% (as well as adding niacin, like someone mentioned in a previous post). For niacin, I add brewers yeast to their feed and then dampen it so that it sticks to the feed and doesnt fall to the bottom of the bowl. I think some people just add the yeast to the drinking water instead of the feed.

Back
Top Bottom