Duckling Seems to be Internally Piping Too Early

Steph21

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Alabama
I currently have 1 egg in my incubator. The humidity has been kept relatively stable because I've been taking my classes online at home, so I've been able to keep an eye on it at pretty much all times. The one problem I've had is with the temperature. It's stayed between 99.5 F and 98.5 F (sometimes a little lower depending on how cold it is outside). Whenever I try to increase the temp in my incubator to be closer to 99.5F it ends up overheating so I have just let it stay in the 99.5 - 98.5 range. This is my second time incubating eggs (I hatched 6 eggs a few months ago), so this is still a little new to me, especially when they start to enter the hatching phase. I candled my egg last night and everything has been normal up until now. As of now, it is on day 22 of incubation but last night when I candled it (day 21), it looked like the duckling was attempting to internally pip. It was moving around a good bit and I could see it poking its beak into the air cell, however, it looked more like it was pushing at the membrane and not like it had actually internally piped yet. Is it too early for it to be doing this? The air cell has also gotten significantly bigger and is sort of sloped down on one side of the egg. I have increased the humidity and basically have it on semi-lockdown but I've searched all over the Internet and can't find any answers. Does anyone have any advice? I can post pictures later if that would be helpful.

I currently have 1 egg in my incubator. The humidity has been kept relatively stable because I've been taking my classes online at home, so I've been able to keep an eye on it at pretty much all times. The one problem I've had is with the temperature. It's stayed between 99.5 F and 98.5 F (sometimes a little lower depending on how cold it is outside). Whenever I try to increase the temp in my incubator to be closer to 99.5F it ends up overheating so I have just let it stay in the 99.5 - 98.5 range. This is my second time incubating eggs (I hatched 6 eggs a few months ago), so this is still a little new to me, especially when they start to enter the hatching phase. I candled my egg last night and everything has been normal up until now. As of now, it is on day 22 of incubation but last night when I candled it (day 21), it looked like the duckling was attempting to internally pip. It was moving around a good bit and I could see it poking its beak into the air cell, however, it looked more like it was pushing at the membrane and not like it had actually internally piped yet. Is it too early for it to be doing this? The air cell has also gotten significantly bigger and is sort of sloped down on one side of the egg. I have increased the humidity and basically have it on semi-lockdown but I've searched all over the Internet and can't find any answers. Does anyone have any advice? I can post pictures later if that would be helpful.
Pics would help. Shadowing (pushing on air cell membrane) can occur almost a week before hatch.

I'll take some pictures the next time I check on it. I've already opened the incubator twice earlier today. Thanks for the info! Do I need to continue turning the egg?
Yep, keep turning it.
You don't have to keep turning, but it's fine to.
No problem. I've seen shadowing in ducks as early as day 19. They just like to push on the membrane. It helps stretch it out so it easily punctures when the big day comes.

Here are some pictures:
20210122_213559.jpg
20210122_213459.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-220834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-220834_Gallery.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It looks great! You sure you have counted the days right? I think you still have at the very least a day or so until any internal pipping happens. You could probably stop turning it until hatch so he can get in a good position. He doesn't need to be turned any more. 👍
What breed? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.

It looks great! You sure you have counted the days right? I think you still have at the very least a day or so until any internal pipping happens. You could probably stop turning it until hatch so he can get in a good position. He doesn't need to be turned any more. 👍
What breed? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.
I just checked and it has piped internally (day 23). I can also hear it tapping. I stopped turning it and have increased the humidity. The days are correct because I always make them a little schedule after I put them in. I'm not sure what the breed will be cause it's just a barnyard mix but it it will most likely be a white layer/rouen or white layer/black swedish.

I just checked and it has piped internally (day 23). I stopped turning it and have increased the humidity. The days are correct because I always make them a little schedule after I put them in. I'm not sure what the breed will be cause it's just a barnyard mix but it it will most likely be a white layer/rouen or white layer/black swedish.
Wow, really? Have you checked your temp with a calibrated thermometer? Maybe your temp was too high on average.

Wow, really? Have you checked your temp with a calibrated thermometer? Maybe your temp was too high on average.
I have 4 hygrometers that also tell the temp that I use. I tested them against our house thermostat and they gave a correct reading for temp. I used them the first time I hatched eggs and everything went normal so I'm not sure.

I have 4 hygrometers that also tell the temp that I use. I tested them against our house thermostat and they gave a correct reading for temp. I used them the first time I hatched eggs and everything went normal so I'm not sure.
I don't know then. Maybe your incubator has a hot spot?

Back
Top Bottom