Duckling Seems to be Internally Piping Too Early

I currently have 1 egg in my incubator. The humidity has been kept relatively stable because I've been taking my classes online at home, so I've been able to keep an eye on it at pretty much all times. The one problem I've had is with the temperature. It's stayed between 99.5 F and 98.5 F (sometimes a little lower depending on how cold it is outside). Whenever I try to increase the temp in my incubator to be closer to 99.5F it ends up overheating so I have just let it stay in the 99.5 - 98.5 range. This is my second time incubating eggs (I hatched 6 eggs a few months ago), so this is still a little new to me, especially when they start to enter the hatching phase. I candled my egg last night and everything has been normal up until now. As of now, it is on day 22 of incubation but last night when I candled it (day 21), it looked like the duckling was attempting to internally pip. It was moving around a good bit and I could see it poking its beak into the air cell, however, it looked more like it was pushing at the membrane and not like it had actually internally piped yet. Is it too early for it to be doing this? The air cell has also gotten significantly bigger and is sort of sloped down on one side of the egg. I have increased the humidity and basically have it on semi-lockdown but I've searched all over the Internet and can't find any answers. Does anyone have any advice? I can post pictures later if that would be helpful.
Hello! I just wanted to make an update since a lot of people seem to be keeping up with this thread. The egg still hasn't hatched, however, the duckling is still alive. No progress has been made since the external pip and it will have been 48 hours since the external pip at about 7pm cst tonight. If no progress has been made by then, I'm thinking about opening up the external pip just a little to see if maybe that will get it started trying to hatch but any advice would be appreciated.

Hello! I just wanted to make an update since a lot of people seem to be keeping up with this thread. The egg still hasn't hatched, however, the duckling is still alive. No progress has been made since the external pip and it will have been 48 hours since the external pip at about 7pm cst tonight. If no progress has been made by then, I'm thinking about opening up the external pip just a little to see if maybe that will get it started trying to hatch but any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience about hatching ducklings, but I have had experience with chicken eggs. I do remember that one time I did have a chick externally pip and did take him about 48hrs to finally make progress and hatch. And there has been one where I did intervene. Hopefully someone comes along with duckling experience and shares their two cents!

Back
Top Bottom