Duckling showing some problems but I don't know what kind?

sethsquawk

Hatching
Oct 16, 2023
I have a few ducklings that we've hatched that are about 3-4 weeks old now, but one of them doesn't quite behave like the others and I'm not sure how concerned I should be- For some backstory this duckling did have a little trouble during hatch where it tired out in the egg for too long after internally pipping and I had to assist to provide some air

For the most part they seem happy, and they're growing and eating but to name some of the troubles I've noticed;
- A little smaller than the others even since hatch
- Has some trouble walking compared to the others, constantly stepping on their own feet and therefore laying down more
- Always seems to drift off on their own away from the others??
- We sort of have to guide them to food and water since they'll end up pecking/dabbling at everything but their food and water for a good amount of time
- 'Pretends to eat' sometimes by hovering over the food and visibly not touching it but proceeding to act like they're eating, which can be funny if I wasn't so worried
- Noticeably more vocal than the others, sometimes screaming randomly (even when we're there watching and nothing's happened) but then going back to normal

And just things along that line of being a bit 'air-headed' for a lack of a better word/description, we've been keeping an eye on this duckling and giving as much extra care as we can, vitamins and supplements and ensuring that they're still eating and seem happy (loves to swim and play still and is generally energetic but needs to rest sooner than the others for some time) but I'm still worried regardless in case it's something bigger to look out for that I'm not realising that could get worse over time

I have a few ducklings that we've hatched that are about 3-4 weeks old now, but one of them doesn't quite behave like the others and I'm not sure how concerned I should be- For some backstory this duckling did have a little trouble during hatch where it tired out in the egg for too long after internally pipping and I had to assist to provide some air

For the most part they seem happy, and they're growing and eating but to name some of the troubles I've noticed;
- A little smaller than the others even since hatch
- Has some trouble walking compared to the others, constantly stepping on their own feet and therefore laying down more
- Always seems to drift off on their own away from the others??
- We sort of have to guide them to food and water since they'll end up pecking/dabbling at everything but their food and water for a good amount of time
- 'Pretends to eat' sometimes by hovering over the food and visibly not touching it but proceeding to act like they're eating, which can be funny if I wasn't so worried
- Noticeably more vocal than the others, sometimes screaming randomly (even when we're there watching and nothing's happened) but then going back to normal

And just things along that line of being a bit 'air-headed' for a lack of a better word/description, we've been keeping an eye on this duckling and giving as much extra care as we can, vitamins and supplements and ensuring that they're still eating and seem happy (loves to swim and play still and is generally energetic but needs to rest sooner than the others for some time) but I'm still worried regardless in case it's something bigger to look out for that I'm not realising that could get worse over time
Sometimes ducklings just don't thrive like others. Some of them make it, some of them don't. Maybe there is a genetic defect which you can't see on the outside. In my experience, the loud peeping is a sign of discomfort when it happens too often and with the weak one.
it seems like you do everything you can do to support this poor ducky. Try to monitor if his stronger brothers and sisters don't walk over him. Because that sometimes happens. Survival of the fittest...

@Miss Lydia can you assist?

Back
Top Bottom