Duckling smaller than hatch mates?--Sorry, wrong section.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lamar Estate, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    This is Cooper, a crested Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga mixed duckling. She's 2 weeks old.

Her 2 hatch mates are not crested (mom is crested). Ever since they hatched, the other 2 have been growing at a typical pace. Cooper has stayed small and is a bit chunky shaped. She's almost half their size. However, she has always acted and eaten normally.

Underneath her crest, it feels as if her skull has not fully closed. The soft spot feels as if it's getting smaller though.

What is going on? Is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh my, they're cute!

Sometimes, I've found, that sometimes a duck or chick doesn't grow for whatever reason. It may be because he has certain unknown health issues, like a heart problem, but sometimes they just don't grow for no reason. As for the skull, I've heard from other crested duck owners that it is common for their skull not to be fully closed and filled with fatty tissue.

Some duck experts should be along soon. In the wild, I've seen ducks that never really grew to their full size do very well. One, in particular, might have a heart problem, though he hasn't been diagnosed. He gets tired really easy, I've found. But, he's doing very well considering he's a wild duck and there's no mercy in the wild.

3. pennfarm

pennfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    House Springs, Missouri
    Love your ducklings, very cute!

desertdarlene is right... crested ducks have a genetic mutation associated with skull deformities and the crest is formed by the fatty tissue that emerges through the gap in their skull. I'm not sure about your growth issue with Cooper but if she acts normal I don't think I would worry too much about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by