Duckling sounds congested and has stopped making noise

sarahb19243

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Western North Carolina
Hello all,
I'm hoping someone out there has some advice to give on what we should do about one of our new ducklings. We got two ducks from TSC about a week ago, one Pekin and one Golden 300. The Pekin is doing really well, but I've noticed our Golden has had this growing congestion issue that I can't find any info about. I read lots of threads about people having ducklings with stuffy/runny noses and that all they need is warm water to clean their faces in. I've tried that and this baby still seems to be getting worse. It started as a persistent runny nose paired with drinking tons of water, then the next night the congestion sound seemed to move further down into its chest. Today I checked on them and it isn't even peeping anymore! Still eating and drinking regularly but something is very wrong here :( I hope this is not a contagious respiratory issue that may end up infecting the other duckling :confused: Should they be separated even if the Pekin has zero signs of having this? Any medication recommendations?

I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Sounds like a respiratory infection. Is a vet an option? If mine I would start enrofloxacin twice a day. That quickest way to get this drug would be to see a veterinarian, or you could overnight it from a pigeon supply website. @Pennys Mama, what was the place you got your liquid enrofloxacin (Baytril) from?

@sarahb19243
@casportpony

allbirdproducts.com
Screenshot_20200315-131837_Chrome.jpg

Sounds like a respiratory infection. Is a vet an option? If mine I would start enrofloxacin twice a day. That quickest way to get this drug would be to see a veterinarian, or you could overnight it from a pigeon supply website. @Pennys Mama, what was the place you got your liquid enrofloxacin (Baytril) from?

I really appreciate the advice! Unfourtanetly the baby passed over the night. :( If I notice any symptoms in the other one I'll at least know what to do. Again, thank you!

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

The Baytril just came in today! I decided I should probably go ahead and treat the other duckling, s/he does sound a little off and it worries me. I read on another thread you had commented on in the past that the dose is 0.05 per lb of body weight, is that oral or injectable? 🤔 The bottle reads 100mg per 1ml

Back
Top Bottom